SRJC student health, counseling and other services now available online

Courtesy Alden Nichols
Santa Rosa Junior College’s Student Health Services is among the 18 campus groups offering free services online in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic.

Santa Rosa Junior College health services, academic counseling and tutoring, career guidance, financial aid, emergency assistance and more than a dozen other student services as they adapt to online learning. 

These services are free and accessible from the SRJC website or mobile app. SRJC staff members from various departments are available to assist students between 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on weekdays.

“These are services and programs that provide critical support to students to ensure they reach their academic goals,” said Vice President of Student Services Pedro Avila on the program’s commitment to providing support for students with disabilities, low-income, undocumented, foster youth, veterans and international students.

The Student Resource Center is hosting virtual appointments over phone and video to help students with food, housing and crisis grants. Students can schedule appointments to meet with a basic needs coordinator or have questions answered through the virtual walk-in hours from 8 p.m. to 4 p.m.; the resource center is also ready to help students with safety, physical and mental health, the cost of living and more.

The counseling department has extended its hours to 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Mondays, 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesdays and Wednesdays, 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Thursdays and 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Fridays. Students who need to access the Disability Resources Department can schedule online appointments as well.

Academic counselors will conduct virtual appointments over phone and video to help with education plans, transfer credit evaluation, course prerequisites, course offerings, majors available, certificate, degree,  transfer requirements and referrals to other services. Academic tutoring has also moved online with live one-on-one tutoring sessions. 

Librarians are offering online chats to help students find library resources they need to complete class assignments.

In addition to phone and video appointments, an email question service is also available. This service is best for short questions, as students are asked to wait two to three business days for a response. Other services include the Career Hub, which includes a job board, the Dream Center and more. 

The Student Health Services Department’s adjustment to online services has come with some challenges. “We are still adjusting to seeing each other only by Zoom,” said Director of Student Health Services Rebecca Norwick, “but there is a general sense of enthusiasm and determination to do right by our students.” Students can now schedule remote health and mental health appointments.

The 18 available services are Remote Readiness, Welcome Center, Student Resources, Admissions and Records, Academic Tutoring, Career Hub, Counseling and Disability Resources, Dream Center, Eops, Care and CalWorks, Financial Aid, High School Students, International Students, Library Services, Nextup and Bearcubs Scholars, Student Health, Student Life, Student Success Coaches and the Transfer Center.