High risk sex offender to be released

Jonathan Hoppner is a 23-year-old white male, 6 feet tall, 240 pounds, with blonde hair and blue eyes. SRJC District Police should be notified at 527-1000 if he is seen on campus.

A high risk sex offender who has committed two counts of sexual battery on the Santa Rosa Junior College campus is scheduled to be released April 1, according to the Petaluma Police Department.

Jonathan Michael Hoppner, 23, plead no contest to a misdemeanor of sexual battery, annoying and molesting a 15-year-old girl on the Santa Rosa campus in August 2015 and was sentenced to 18 months in jail. This case was his seventh sexual battery conviction in less than three years.

Lt. Ken Savano of the Petaluma PD said Hoppner meets the criteria for being at high risk of reoffending and has been ordered to stay away from the SRJC campuses. Those who see Hoppner on campus should call SRJC District Police at (707) 527-1000.

On March 30, the State of California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation notified Petaluma police that they planned to release Hoppner to a Petaluma hotel. CDCR has since announced he will not be released in Petaluma and will notify the local law enforcement agency when they find a place for him to stay.

“This individual has served the sentence imposed by the courts. Although we object, the Petaluma Police Department has no legal authority to dictate where this subject lives,” Savano said in a press release.

Once it is known, police will release Hoppner’s actual location. This alert is being issued under Megan’s Law. Savano stressed in the press release that it’s illegal to use this information to commit any crime against a registered sex offender.