New candidates oust current trustees

Voters elected all three challengers running for seats in Santa Rosa Junior College’s Board of Trustees on Nov. 4.

The trustees relied heavily on their incumbency and experience to campaign for re-election, but challengers Dorothy Battenfeld, Jordan Burns and Maggie Fishman won their seats.

Burns graduated valedictorian from SRJC in 2009 and served as a student trustee member from 2008-2009.

Burns ran against Robert Burdo for West County and received 53.6 percent of the votes while Burdo had 46.1 percent from 15,403 voters.

Battenfeld teaches at Montgomery High School and said she’s committed to helping the college meet the changing needs of its diverse students.

Battenfeld challenged Don  Zumwalt for Santa Rosa Area 3/4/5 and won with 54.2 percent of the votes, while Zumwalt held 45.5 percent of the votes from 32,592 voters.

Fishman, who also taught at Montgomery High School, said she understands the challenges SRJC faces due to decreasing in enrollment, tuition increase and demographic changes.

Fishman was Kathleen Doyle’s challenger for South County. Fishman won with 56 percent of the votes while Doyle had 43.7 percent from 15,324 voters.

“I’m very excited, humbled and ready for a lot of hard work,” Fishman said.

Joshua Pinaula, president of the Associated Student Senate, said having all the challengers elected sends a clear message from a community that is ready for change.

“I think [students are] going to be heard more,” he said.

In their last official board meeting on Nov. 12, board members thanked the trustees for their years of service. Communication Studies instructor Hal Sanford prepared a farewell speech for trustees.

“You have set quite a high bar for your successors,” Sanford said. 

SRJC president Dr. Chong also had touching words for the trustees.

“When I came here the board gave me the latitude, the support, the encouragement to try to do the most I can,” Chong said. “I just really appreciate all that you’ve contributed and will continue to contribute because when you’re part of the JC family you will always be part of the JC family regardless of title or stature.”

In the meeting Zumwalt and Burdo offered advice to Burns, Battenfeld and Fishman and said their goodbyes.

“You’ve got to treat each member with respect even though you don’t support their views,” Zumwalt said. “Make a decision based on what is good for the students and the college.”

Burdo warned that budget reserves have to be spent wisely. “You get one shot and you don’t get to re-do it,” Burdo said.

Doyle expressed her affection for the job and said she would miss all her friends on the board.