Silent Protests Continue at Santa Rosa Junior College

The Intervarsity Christian Fellowship forced the Santa Rosa Junior College student body to confront one of society’s ugliest facets Monday as it occupied the quad and Elliot crosswalk in a silent protest against human trafficking.

Headed by the leaders of Intervarsity’s Monday morning Bible study, SRJC students Kai Clark and Desiree Ortiz, the silent protest consisted of protestors holding signs with statistics on human trafficking around the world and in Sonoma County. The protestors occupied an area around the central quad and the Elliot crosswalk so that pedestrians would be continuously confronted with unsettling facts.

“No one wants to think about the issue, everyone wants to turn a blind eye; and certainly no one wants to believe that it happens here, but Sonoma County is a major hub for human trafficking,” said Intervarsity student advisor Sarah Musumeci.

Even as passers-by asked them questions or gave comments, protestors did nothing but smile or nod and send them on their way. Only two people, Ortiz and student advisor James Alderson, answered the questions of curious onlookers at Intervarsity’s booth by the library.

When asked if a scarcity in negative confrontations hint to a lack of impact in the protest, Ortiz said, “I felt awkward and vulnerable, and I felt that people shared the same feeling and that is why most people were really respectful. They could see that we were trying to spread knowledge on this heinous problem and it wasn’t a place to attempt to deny or dispute our facts.”

After a cautious walk through the signs, SRJC student Mackenzie Toppins tentatively approached for comment. “That was intense,” she said. “I know it’s a problem in America, but until now that was the extent of my knowledge. This issue just got a whole lot scarier after reading those statistics.”