Jessica Jones Wins Floyd Bailey Award

ASB President Jessica Jones volunteers at the Phi Theta Kappa food drive. She is the first student ever to win the Floyd Bailey Award.

Jessica Jones, Associated Students president, is the first student to win the prestigious Floyd P. Bailey Award since its inception in 1971, for her significant contributions to the betterment of SRJC.

“To be the first student to win the award, it’s a new and exciting turn for the district. This shows that students can be just as powerful and strong and collaborative as community members or board of trustee members and as dedicated as instructors who have been here over 20 years,” Jones said.

Jones joins the other 38 recipients of the Bailey award, including college deans, instructors, community members and board of trustee members.

An email sent to staff on behalf of the SRJC Alumni & Friends Association praised Jones, saying, “Jessica exemplifies the very best qualities of an SRJC student and involved citizen in the SRJC community.”

Katie Gerber, environmental science and geography instructor and co-chair of the Institute for Environmental Education, was one of the three sponsors who anonymously submitted Jones’ name for the award.

“I am super proud,” Gerber said. “Jessica deserves this and I don’t know any other faculty member, staff member, board member or administrator who deserves it more than Jessica does.”

Other sponsors included Student Affairs Director Robert Ethington and Philosphy Professor Dr. Carla Grady.

Sara Laggos, director of Alumni Relations & Annual Fund collected the nominations.

“Jessica’s dedication to the college and the energy she puts into attending events and meetings to represent the student body are impressive,” Laggos said.

The Floyd P. Bailey award has been presented to significant SRJC members in the past, such as Dr. H. Randolph Newman, Albert A. Maggini, Norton Forsyth, and Larry Bertolini, all of whom have had buildings named in their honor at SRJC.

Although Jones, who has served two terms as AS president, is not running for her position again, she has helped get many projects rolling at SRJC this year, including a new textbook policy, and a food bank with Robert Edmunds and the Phi Theta Kappa honor society.

“It’s exciting to be honored, but there’s still so much work to do. There are so many things that are just starting to get off the ground,” Jones said. “Now I’m ready to serve outside as a mentor, to get new people in seats and new exciting energy so more students can receive this training. It is the most valuable education I have ever received.”

Though her work at SRJC is almost over, Jones has her sights set on a seat on the Board of Governors, the highest governing board in the California community college system. The BOG currently has two student seats available.

“I’m currently waiting to hear from Governor Brown’s office. There are only two of us left out of 15 that applied. It’ll be interesting to see if they pick based on geographic location since we’re the furthest north,” Jones said.

Floyd P. Bailey was SRJC’s first president; in 1971 the award was created in his honor. The award was not given for the past two years due to budget cuts.

Jones will be presented the award at 11:30 a.m. May 5 during Day Under the Oaks.

Profile on Jessica Jones @ https://www.theoakleafnews.com/features/2013/04/30/jessica-jones-sustainability-advocate-asb-president-and-local-superhero