Cultural Sensitivity Talks at SRJC

The Black Student Union hosted a forum on cultural identity in our society on Feb. 7 to a full room of students, mentors and SRJC officials in the Bertolini Student Activities Center.

The afternoon began with BSU co-president Damion Square introducing himself and speaking about how he doesn’t feel African-American. He explained he doesn’t know where in Africa he descends from so he doesn’t consider himself African, but also not American because he’s predisposed to be prejudiced against in America.

He then introduced the forum panel members, which included Professor Andre LaRue, Dr. Kent Wisnewski, Sonoma County National Association for the Advancement for Colored People President Reverend Ann Gray Byrd, Treasurer of the BSU Angela Webb-Pigg, BSU Tanzania 2013 coordinator Debra McCracken and BSU co-president Mark Goitom.

LaRue took the stage and gave a quick preview of the history behind racism and the cultural separation in our society.

Dr. Wisnewski followed by talking about the anthropological perspective of skin color, culture and how whites created pseudo-racism to put themselves at the top of the hierarchy and justify their horrid actions against other cultures.

Byrd closed with her stories of having lived through the Civil Rights movement and coming from a family descended from slaves. With a grandfather who couldn’t read or write too well, she saw changes in society but realized there is still so much work ahead.

Square began the forum with the question “What nationality do you associate yourself with?” The audience was shy at first, but opened up after a few speakers. There were many passionate responses, including a student from Pennsylvania who emphatically expressed his anger toward racism and inequality.

Attendees shared their stories and feelings of separation from society, each bringing an insight into what people living in our society go through today. The forum continued with more questions delving deeper into personal identity. The audience became livelier and panel members also added input as the afternoon went on.

The forum was a successful event for the BSU and the NAACP. With a very active audience, at times Square had to move people on to the next question. Byrd encouraged audience members to join the NAACP and also the BSU if they hadn’t already. They emphasized that it isn’t just an association for certain people; it’s an association for all.