Study Abroad in Italy: Destination Florence, Italy for Spring 2013

Florence, Italy, the Study Abroad program’s destination for Spring 2013, is a city full of rich history and culture for students to experience, according to SRJC English Professor Bob Duxbury, who is going on the trip.

Duxbury has been holding a series of informational meetings at noon in Doyle library for students interested in going on the trip. Duxbury held the attention of the group and gave encouragement for participating in the program.

The program lends students fromSRJC and three other community colleges the opportunity to study and live in another country and learn the culture. According to Duxbury, Italian lifestyle offers a different perspective and studying in Florence will provide insight into a student’s view of their own culture.

“The purpose of life there is to enjoy life. Now, you have to work to get to life, whereas over here we say the purpose of life is work and then to buy stuff. It’s a different kind of culture,” Duxbury said.

Students who participated in past Study Abroad trips say their experiences with the program were very positive. SRJC student Shelby Pope participated in the Study Abroad program in Spring 2010 when the destination was also Florence.

“Studying abroad gave me a chance to have my own exciting college adventures, but even better ones since I was in Italy, not in a dorm shared with three other people. It was such an amazing opportunity to go to Italy—it’s unlike anywhere else I’ve traveled,” Pope said.

The instructor also joked about another well-known aspect of Italian life, saying, “Nobody I know doesn’t like Italian food. Certainly, having Italian food in Italy is absolutely fantastic.”

Pope couldn’t agree more. “The food was incredible. I had gelato every single day of my trip and got to try what’s considered the best pizza in the world in Naples.”

Other features of the program include cooking classes, soccer matches, walking tours and day trips to Siena and Pisa. For the studying portion of the program, students will be able to choose from a range of courses being offered from the four participating colleges, including psychology, history, art, English and humanities classes.

The approximate cost of the program is $7,700, not including airfare and any additional fees.To off put some of the expenses, financial aid is available through the program’s website along with a number of scholarships. The Gilman Scholarship, for example, awards up to $5,000.

“The benefits of the program well outweigh the costs,” Pope said. “It’s worth working two jobs one semester to save up the money, and there is financial aid available. You’ll have an amazing time, and all the clichés about study abroad ‘changing your life’ are true,” she said.

Duxbury added that reaching out to relatives could help raise the money for the program. “There’s a reason they are called grandparents.”

For more information go to: www.santarosa.edu/sa

Anna Hecht, Staff Writer