Streaming services worth keeping during inflation

Streaming services like Netflix and Hulu provide a diversity of content that  ensures something for everyone.
Streaming services like Netflix and Hulu provide a diversity of content that ensures something for everyone.
Courtesy Netflix, Prime Video, HBO Max, Hulu

With prices on the rise due to inflation, it is becoming essential to know what is worth spending hard-earned money on. In 2023, there are more than 200 different streaming services for customers to choose from. Before streaming bundles, we had to deal with expensive cable packages that limited which channels were available and sometimes didn’t offer what we wanted to watch. Each of these streaming services covers a variety of shows and movies, so the many choices can be difficult for customers to navigate.

Netflix

Netflix, released in 2010, was the first successful streaming service. Lately, it has fallen behind other streaming services, but Netflix has the uncanny ability to put out a show or movie that draws mass attention, like it did with “Squid Game” in 2021 and “Glass Onion” in 2022. This series now sits at the No.1 spot on Netflix’s Most Popular list, clocking in 1.6 billion hours viewed. While it lacks many of the blockbuster movies other services have, people can still find original content like “Bird Box” and “Stranger Things.” The pricing has three tiers with Basic, Standard and Premium at $9.99 with ads, $15.49 and $19.99 ad free, respectively. 

HBOMax

HBO is a good option because it has a variety of shows and films from all genres and time periods. It recently saw an increase in popularity with the release of “The Last of Us” TV series, with 40.2 million active viewers within the first six episodes. At the moment, it also boasts the second most-watched show “Succession.” A downside to this service is that films and TV shows are constantly coming and leaving the platform. However, this allows for a constant stream of new shows for customers to watch. This service is definitely on the more expensive side if you want to watch shows and movies uninterrupted. It is currently undergoing some changes with the recent merger of HBO Max and Discovery Plus, which will result in the two combining their content. The pricing seems to remain the same as before the merger with Discovery Plus at $9.99 a month with ads, or $15.99 ad free, a 62% price increase.

Hulu

Hulu, around since 2008, has long-running shows like “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia” and “Prey,” a great return to the Predator films. Hulu also offers a student discount plan that costs $1.99 a month with ads. Customers can also add things to their subscription, such as the Entertainment package or Hulu+Live TV, which gives access to ESPN and Disney Plus for $69.99 a month along with 75 live channels. While this sounds attractive, the costs can add up quickly. You also need to up- grade your plan if you want to be able to watch your shows on more than two screens.

Disney+

Disney+, released in 2019, is a relative newcomer to the stream- ing market, but that doesn’t mean it offers viewers limited choices. Disney fans can find the majority of their favorite movies here, and Disney has created a significant amount of new content in the last two years. This includes new films such as “Turning Red” and series based on the Star Wars and Marvel franchises. Customers can purchase the basic service at $7.99 a month, which includes ads, or upgrade to either $10.99 a month or $109.99 yearly ad-free. Disney+ can also be included in an ad-supported base package with Hulu. The downside to the Disney+ streaming service is it releases one new show in a series weekly as opposed to other services that release an entire series all at once. This means customers can’t binge-watch a series; they have to wait for months to see the conclusion.

Amazon Prime

Amazon Prime stands out because besides offering streaming services with films and TV shows, it also offers discounts and other benefits on the Amazon online store with 200 million subscribers worldwide. The streaming service has new releases you can rent, or you can wait until they become free with Prime. However, it does usually take about a year before new releases become free. Customers can also add other channels such as Cinemax and Starz, which each have their own exclusive content. Warning: subscriptions to other channels do start to add up. Currently you can buy just the Prime Video for $8.99 a month or get all the Amazon Prime benefits, including free shipping and Amazon Music, for $14.99 a month or $139 per year. Amazon also offers a student discount with lower subscription prices and exclusive offers on textbooks you rent or buy on Amazon. The pricing for this is $7.49 for Prime Video or $69 per year.