Kahula Chocolate Bundt Cake

Sometimes you meet a group of people. You work together, you get stuff done. Jokes are cracked and friendships are made. Even if it only lasts a day or lasts two years you leave with good friends. The theater is just such a place.

I got a call while sitting around on summer break. “Hey Nadav! Come help me at Sixth Street!” I was bored and even though I knew absolutely nothing about costuming, I went to help when a friend asked me to donate an afternoon. I did the most basic job of gluing glitter onto everything in sight, or in fancy words “Spangling.”

I was helping to put together “The Producers”. I learned many things, like I don’t look good in a dress and that the different kinds of stitching sound like video game moves.

I became good friends with the costume designer and her young son, with the make- up designer and with the other costume shop volunteers. When the time came for me to leave I had invested more hours than I thought I would. I had been working there for weeks, hours each day with just a few other people.

When the show opened I knew they would be behind the scenes helping actors change costumes and look pretty, a job that isn’t easy when costume changes have to be made in a minute or so.

I wanted to make them something special to celebrate all their hard work. I found a good cake recipe and made my first bundt cake. Sadly the raspberry drizzle didn’t really work and I spent half-an-hour pulling fruity cement off the top of the cake. I then dusted it with powdered sugar to hide the scars and drove an hour to the theater.

They snuck me backstage into the costume department and we each had a bit of amazing chocolate cake. It was a memento of the time we spent working together and a celebration of what was about to happen.

Ingredients

-1 (18 ounce) package dark chocolate cake mix.

-4 ounces chocolate instant pudding -2 cups sour cream
-4 eggs
-3/4 cup vegetable oil

-1/2 cup Kahlua
-6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips -Powdered sugar

Directions:

Combine all ingredients (except chips) with mixer, beat for 2 minutes on high. Add chocolate chips.
Pour into greased and floured bundt pan 10”. Bake 45 minutes at 350 degrees to

1 hour until done. Dust with powdered sugar.