A student-operated publication at Santa Rosa Junior College.

The Oak Leaf

A student-operated publication at Santa Rosa Junior College.

The Oak Leaf

A student-operated publication at Santa Rosa Junior College.

The Oak Leaf

California Proposition 27

Nick Vides
Proposition 27 allows Californians 21 and older to place bets on sports teams via mobile device or the internet.

Proposition 27 allows Californians 21 and older to place bets on sports teams via mobile device or the internet. If this proposition passes, people anywhere in California, not just those on tribal lands, would be able to access apps like FanDuel or DraftKings to bet on everything from sporting events to awards shows. If the proposition passes, it will make California the 31st state to legalize sports gambling. 

Tribes and sports gambling companies with sports betting licenses would have to pay the state 10% of all sports bets made monthly on their apps. The catch is, however, that the 10% is calculated after the companies deduct their expenses. Those expenses include any bets made with promotional credits, prize payments and federal gambling taxes; therefore, the state will likely lose out on earning significant revenue.

The payments made to the state would go into the California Online Sports Betting Online Trust Fund, of which 85% would go toward local entities that support homeless and gambling addiction programs. The other 15% would go toward tribes who aren’t involved in sports gambling. 

According to the California General Election Voter Guide, the proposition would have a fiscal impact on both state and local government revenues and costs, but the amount is uncertain because it depends on how the proposition is interpreted and implemented. 

A “yes” vote on Proposition 27 would allow legal sports betting, while a  “no” vote would keep sports betting illegal. 

Proponents of Proposition 27 say it will provide millions of dollars in aid for solutions to homelessness, mental health and addiction in California.  

In total, 43 advocates have given more than $169 million to support the proposition. FanDuel and DraftKings are among those trying to get the proposition passed because they would profit heavily. FanDuel has donated more than $35 million; DraftKings is right behind them with more than $34 million.

Opponents of Proposition 27 say it greatly benefits the out-of-state corporations that run online and mobile gambling. They say those companies would end up with 90% of the profits and do little for the humanitarian programs the proposition says their profits are supposed to help. Opponents also say Proposition 27 encourages minors to gamble since there is no in-person age verification requirement. 

According to the California Official Voter Information Guide, supporters of Proposition 27 include the San Diego Regional Task Force on Homelessness, Middletown Rancheria of Pomo Indians of California, and the Local Initiatives Support Corporation.

Opponents to Proposition 27 include the Tribal Alliance of Sovereign Indian Nations, the Lone Band of Miwok Indians, and the Alpha Project for the Homeless. 

View Comments (1)
About the Contributors
Tony Moeckel
Tony Moeckel, News Editor, Reporter
Tony Moeckel (he/him) is in his third year at SRJC and returning to The Oak Leaf for his third semester. He enjoys covering football, basketball and baseball for the Bear Cubs. He aspires to be a professional sports journalist or sports broadcaster.
Nick Vides
Nick Vides, Photo-Editor
Nicholas “Nick” Vides (he/him) Is a seasoned breaking news reporter dedicated to making sure every shutter click of his camera captures a moment worth sharing. Nick's itch for chasing fires has kept him busy over the past seven years, covering every major fire event in Northern California from the Paradise Fire to the Caldor Fire. Nick currently splits his time as a photojournalist with The Oak Leaf and as a Contract Photographer with The Press Democrat. He has more than nine years of experience with photography, has been director of photography for multiple short films with the SRJC Media Arts Center, directed numerous student-led broadcasts with his Media 19 class, and interned for The Sarah and Vinnie Show on Alice 97.3. In the little free time left, he works for Highway 12 Winery in Sonoma, California as a Cellar Hand.  

Comments (1)

All Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

  • I

    I knew herOct 25, 2022 at 2:18 pm

    vote for prop 27
    Everyone can earn from gambling / not just “Tribes”
    We are all equal

    Gambeling, Alcohol and Tabaco are not indigent rights

    everyone is equal

    have a good semester