Cal Fire Incident Management Team 4 activated for the 1,207 acre Point Fire

Yna Bollock
A Siller Aviation Helitanker 35S flies over the Point Fire in Dry Creek Valley on Sunday, June 16, 2024.

Developing Story

2:20 p.m. Tuesday

Cal Fire Lake-Napa Unit has officially turned over command of the Point fire to Incident Management Team 4 (IMT 4) which has not been activated in Sonoma County since the 2022 Electra Fire, according to Cal Fire’s X account post. This change of guard helps the command and control structure of fire management resources. IMT 4 is also in charge of The Sites Fire in Colusa County.

The Point Fire sits at 1,207 acres and 40% containment.

11:15 a.m.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) has issued a Red Flag Warning until 8 a.m. Tuesday morning due to expected gusty winds and low humidity. The Point Fire grows to 1,190 acres. Firefighters made solid progress containing the fire as it now sits at 20% containment.

The Santa Rosa Junior College remains open on all campuses for the first day of the Summer Semester.

1:10 a.m. Monday

Per Cal Fire’s X account, formerly known as twitter, “Sensor aircraft mapped the fire at 1,013 acres at 9:15 p.m. Containment remains at 15%. Three helicopters are conducting aerial night firefighting operations to support the resources on the ground working to build and strengthen containment lines overnight.” Cal Fire also said, “Overnight there will be 36 fire engines on the fire with seven dozers, six hand crews and three water tenders in addition to the three helicopters.”

10:13 p.m. 

Santa Rosa Junior College announces, “Sites Open Monday, June 17, Continuing to Monitor Air Quality from Point Fire.” 

All school sites are unaffected and all classes will be continued as planned according to SRJC’s instagram post late Sunday night.

8:42 p.m.

“The fire is approximately 900 acres and remains 15% contained. We do have confirmed reports of structures destroyed and are working through damage inspections on the structure type and number. The fire has pushed down south towards Mountain View Ranch Rd,” CAL Fire LNU says.

7:25 p.m.

Temporary evacuation point at Laguna High School at 7050 Covey Rd. in Forestville.

5:03 p.m.

“Any and all available engines in Sonoma County have been requested to the area of West Dry Creek Road and Yoakim Bridge Road for structure protection,” per Incident Command.

4:18 p.m.

The Sonoma County Sheriff’s Officials issued an evacuation order for the entire zones of SON-2E2 and SON-2E3.

3:43 p.m.

The fire has grown to 150 acres with a potential for 300 to 500 acres. Air Attack requested 3 additional overnight helicopters. 

3:14 p.m

The Sonoma County Sheriff’s Office called for mandatory evacuations ordered for the North end of West Dry Creek to Fall Creek Road and all areas West of West Dry Creek to Lake Sonoma. 

2:54 p.m.

Cal Fire LNU reported the fire has grown to approx 100 acres and is 15% contained. 

2:23 p.m.

Fire jumped to approximately 30-40 acres, still with moderate spread. 

The Sonoma County Sheriff’s Office sent an Evacuation Warning for residents on the North end of West Dry Creek Road down to Stang Road near Lake Sonoma. 

1:33 p.m. Sunday

Approximately 5 acre fire was reported at 4200 Block of Stewarts Point-Skaggs Springs Road in Healdsburg. Moderate rate of spread. 

Incident Command and Air Attack requested an additional 5 engines, 4 crews and 1 dozer along with an additional 2 helicopters and 2 tankers.

Hana Seals
Hana Seals, Co-Editor-in-Chief
Hana Seals (she/her) is in her fourth semester at Santa Rosa Junior College, and is preparing to transfer to a four-year school with a major in Journalism. She mainly covers breaking news, community issues and local crime. Outside of writing she spends her time watching documentaries, drawing and opening time with friends and family. Professional content consumer.
Michael Combs
Michael Combs, Editor
Michael Combs (he/him) is in his fifth semester writing for The Oak Leaf, and his second as co-Editor-In-Chief. He began taking natural resources management classes at Santa Rosa Junior College to pursue his love of nature and the environment but has shifted toward journalism so he can share those passions with the world. Besides the environment, Michael also likes to write about politics, social justice and mental health. He has a bachelor’s of science in neuroscience and mammalian physiology from the University of California, San Diego, and hopes to get back to his roots with more science journalism as well. In his off time Michael likes to read, write and hike as often as possible in beautiful Sonoma County and beyond.
Nick Vides
Nick Vides, Photo-Editor
Nicholas “Nick” Vides (he/him) Is a seasoned breaking news reporter dedicated to making sure every shutter click of his camera captures a moment worth sharing. Nick's itch for chasing fires has kept him busy over the past seven years, covering every major fire event in Northern California from the Paradise Fire to the Caldor Fire. Nick currently splits his time as a photojournalist with The Oak Leaf and as a Contract Photographer with The Press Democrat. He has more than nine years of experience with photography, has been director of photography for multiple short films with the SRJC Media Arts Center, directed numerous student-led broadcasts with his Media 19 class, and interned for The Sarah and Vinnie Show on Alice 97.3. In the little free time left, he works for Highway 12 Winery in Sonoma, California as a Cellar Hand.  
Oliver Kindt
Oliver Kindt, Reporter
Oliver Kindt (he/him) is a journalism major in his second semester at SRJC and first at The Oak Leaf. He is an aspiring sports writer who will be covering primarily baseball and softball this spring.
Emelle Raschein
Emelle Raschein, Reporter
Emelle Raschein (she/her) is in her first semester at the Oak Leaf and is pursuing a degree in journalism.
Yna Bollock
Yna Bollock, Reporter
Yna Bollock is in her first semester with the Oak Leaf. She has been working on prerequisites for the last two semesters and is elated to begin major specific requirements for the journalism program, specifically photojournalism. Prior to pursuing a photojournalism degree, she graduated from SRJC’s culinary program in 2013. In 2020, following a layoff from the hospitality industry, Yna graduated from the CNA program in June in an effort to stay gainfully employed throughout the pandemic. Now in 2024, she is on track to graduate with a bachelor’s of arts in photojournalism.

• N

Nathan LauterbachJun 16, 2024 at 6:16 pm

given how I lost my house in the tubbs fire this is becoming extremely stressful for me.

• K

Kevi KirschJun 16, 2024 at 5:46 pm

Good reporting, Thank you!