Food Pantry needs volunteers

SRJC will continue to provide free food on both the Santa Rosa and Petaluma campuses.

courtesy of SRJC

courtesy of SRJC

Pedro Braga, Staff Writer

The Santa Rosa Junior College food distribution system is giving away more free food to students than ever and needs volunteers.

By creating partnerships with local businesses, the Food Pantry can offer greater  diversity and quantity of food to students. The most pressing need is for more people to help distribute the food.

The Santa Rosa Junior College food distribution center is trying to keep partnerships with local business, corporations and non-profit organizations that not only donate food but provide employees who are willing to volunteer.

DeAnna Rogers, head of the Basic Needs Resource Center in Bertolini Hall, helps students gain access to services that can lighten their expenses. She is also responsible for the creation of an in-campus partnership with local businesses to continue providing food.

“Two-thirds of the community college population is food insecure,” Rogers said. “Food insecure means that you don’t  know where meals are coming from, or will you get one or is it oatmeal tonight?” She said the organization Hunger-Free-Campus funding helped provide 8,000 pounds of food since Feb. 12.

Rogers advocates that everyone —students, the homeless and others — should have access to food. She estimates that two-thirds of the community college population is food insecure.

When asked about the importance of the Food Pantry, business major Juan Guedes, 19, said, “It is very helpful for me as an international student because, this way, we spend less money and eat healthier food.”

“The Food Pantry offers students fruits and vegetables they may be unable to afford at a market,” Guedes said.

The food distribution occurs every week from 8-11 a.m. at Barnett Hall on Mondays and Tuesdays and from 2:30-5:30 p.m. on Wednesdays and Thursdays.  At the Petaluma campus, free food is available from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Wednesdays.

You can volunteer to distribute free food here.