SRJC Latinx Faculty and Staff Association to host La Carpa student talent show

Latinx Faculty & Staff Association
The SRJC Latinx Faculty and Staff Association will host the Latinx Carpa student talent show at 6-8 p.m. Friday the 13th in the Burbank Auditorium.

The Santa Rosa Junior College Latinx Faculty and Staff Association (LFSA) is hosting the second annual Latinx Carpa Student Talent Show from 6-8 p.m. Oct. 13 at the Burbank Auditorium.

This event is a part of the Herencia Series, which aims to teach and promote Indigenous and Latinx cultures to students at SRJC.

Carpa, or “tent” in Spanish, refers to a kind of traveling theater popular in Latin America and across the American Southwest during the 1920s and ’30s, where theater groups performed under tents similar to a circus. These shows included slapstick comedy, music and dance acts, and full theater plays.

“The purpose of the event is mainly to give a chance to students who have a hidden talent to perform in public and to give them a platform to showcase their talent and culture,” said LFSA President Beatriz Camargo. This is in the same spirit as the original Carpa shows during the ’20s and ’30s.

Camargo invited audience members to dress on theme if they so desire, even if they’re not performing, but it’s not a requirement.

“We want the community to come and enjoy the show,” Camargo said. “We just want everyone to have a good time and to promote community.”

Registration to perform in the event has closed, but the LFSA needs volunteers to serve as ushers, work the check-in table, operate as backstage support and to provide technical assistance.

For more information visit the Latinx Carpa Student Talent Show webpage. For questions about the show or volunteering, contact Beatriz at [email protected]\ or call (707) 521-7854.