Lizzo promotes body positivity while The Silverado Pickups, Tove Lo rock out BottleRock day 2

Nick Vides
Jeff Gargiulo of The Silverado Pickups jams out with his guitar on the Allianz Stage at BottleRock Napa Valley on Saturday, May 27, 2023.

After a cloudy Day 1, BottleRock Napa Valley Day 2 was bright and full of stars. From Keanu Reeves’ band Dogstar, Paris Jackson and local Napa rock band The Silverado Pickups, the music was roaring as the gates opened. As the evening wound down from the day’s performances, the marquee ensembles made their mark on BottleRock.

Marking their tenth appearance at BottleRock, local Napa Valley Band The Silverado Pickups provided fans with a blend of cover songs and original pieces at the Allianz Stage. They performed a cover of “I’m a Believer,” and towards the end of their rocksteady setlist, belted fan favorite “Wine Country Cowboy” to get the already lively fans pumped up even more. 

Over at the JaM Pad, pop music sensation Carly Rae Jepsen brought tons of energy despite the warm temperatures during her set. Performing her hit songs “Call Me Maybe” and “I Really Like You,” Jepson dominated the stage and left the crowd in awe.

At the Verizon Stage, Tove Lo electrified the crowd with her signature sexual musicality. Wearing a fishnet suit that covered just the essentials, most of the time, she jokingly referred to herself as a “slutty superhero villian.” The crowd couldn’t get enough of her sensual move-set and the colossus-sized screen made full use of her twerking. Eager fans chimed in with every chorus during songs like “Talking Body” and the classic “Habits (Stay High).” She was able to get the packed-to-the-brim crowd at the Verizon Stage to wave their hands and jump in unison throughout her set.

Before Lizzo’s primetime performance, Leon Bridges sang his hit songs “Beyond” and “Coming Home.” After his line up, the JaM Pad became packed with fans waiting for Lizzo. She opened up her epic setlist with a message to the crowd, saying, “My concerts are a safe space for all.” She then performed her biggest hits, such as “Jerome,” “Rumors,” and “About Damn Time.” 

Lizzo’s voice was so powerful the vibrations from her singing could’ve been measured on the Richter scale. The energy she poured into the entire set only took a couple of breaks, one to wish a fan happy birthday and have the crowd chant “I’m smart, I make money and I’m a bad b—-,” and another minute for “Bad B—- Meditation.”

She additionally highlighted the need for diversity and inclusivity within society while on stage. “Cancel hate, cancel intolerance b—,” she said to the crowd that filled the entire lawn of the JaM Pad Stage. 

While Lizzo was jamming out on the JaM Pad, Duran Duran performed on the Verizon Stage, singing hits like “Hungry Like the Wolf” and “Ordinary World”. Their setlist was the longest of the day, hitting the 10 p.m. cut off right on time.

The Culinary Stage.

The Williams Sonoma Culinary Stage did not disappoint on Day 2 as DJ Umami again got the party started in the late morning. Renowned Chef José Andrés and Sammy Hagar teamed up earlier in the day to make cocktails and promote peace on earth, highlighting Adrés’ recent trips to Ukraine to cook for refugees and soldiers. Keanu Reeves made an appearance with his bandmates from Dogstar to cook alongside Chef Roy Choi to close out the stage’s setlist.