10 Video Games to Play for Halloween

There are many video games perfect for Halloween that range from mature horror to family-friendly action/adventure games. “Luigi’s Mansion 3” falls into the latter with its lighthearted content coupled with a spooky setting.

Halloween is just around the corner, and with it comes the time to celebrate all things spooky. One great way to do so is to play a video game with a creepy atmosphere which can include horror games or lighthearted games with spooky content and imagery.

Here are 10 games that are perfect to play in celebration of Halloween.

Dead by Daylight (PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, Android/IOS, Microsoft Windows)

Dead by Daylight is a 4V1 multiplayer game released in 2016. Four survivors must work together by repairing generators scattered across a medium sized map in order to earn their escape. Meanwhile, the fifth player controls a killer that hunts the survivors and sabotages their attempts. The game has plenty of original characters, such as The Trapper, The Huntress and The Wraith, with recent updates adding iconic horror villains like Freddy Krueger and Ghostface. If you are looking for something to play with your friends this game is an excellent choice for you.

Resident Evil 4, 7, Village  (PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, Microsoft Windows)

The Resident Evil series dates back to 1996. Since then the series has expanded into 13 different games. Some have been more action-packed than others but the recent two games have a larger emphasis on horror. With tight corridors to explore and suspense filled moments, these games offer a creepy atmosphere to sink your teeth into.

Outlast (Pc, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5,  Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, Nintendo Switch)

Outlast is filled with tense and outright terrifying moments. The game takes place in an asylum and is filled with all kinds of monsters that are hunting you down. The game offers limited supplies that you have to make the most of and the only way to defend yourself is by running or hiding. This game comes with some intense imagery and isn’t recommended for everyone. 

Until Dawn/The Dark Pictures Anthology/The Quarry (PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, Microsoft Windows)

More like interactive horror films than traditional video games, this collection from Supermassive Games is perfect for the season. Complete with all the tropes and typical elements of horror films, the stories of these games will play out differently depending on the player’s decisions. While Until Dawn was a single player experience, The Dark Pictures Anthology and The Quarry can be played with more people both online and in person. It’s a great game if you plan on having friends over and want to see their reactions. 

Metroid Dread (Nintendo Switch)

The newest title in the Metroid series. Released last year, it keeps with the franchise’s unsettling atmosphere of isolation. Unique to Metroid Dread are the Extraplanetary Multiform Mobile Identifiers, mainly referred to as E.M.M.I., which are robots that dwell inside areas known as E.M.M.I. Zones, and will hunt Samus down leading to an immediate game over if any contact is made. E.M.M.I. Zones turn the game from spooky to scary in an instant with a terrifying atmosphere thanks to the sounds of the E.M.M.I. permeating throughout the ambience. To make things more terrifying, the music ramps up and intensifies once they begin to chase Samus after detecting her. Fans of horror will really enjoy these segments, but the isolated atmosphere of the game as a whole warrants this game’s place on the list.

The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask (Nintendo 64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo Switch)

From a moon with a rather unsettling face to a three-day doomsday timer, this is one of the darkest entries in The Legend of Zelda series. In Majora’s Mask, Link must turn back the clock through a three-day cycle in order to free four Giants who can help prevent the moon’s descent and subsequent destruction of the world. Although it takes a while to get to the spooky area, complete with ghosts, skeletons and other typical Halloween figures, there’s enough dark and creepy content throughout the game to enjoy. 

Luigi’s Mansion (Gamecube, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo Switch)

If you’re less into the dark and scary and instead just want to engage in a spooky atmosphere, then the Luigi’s Mansion series is a perfect choice. As the title implies, you play as Mario’s brother Luigi as you explore a haunted mansion. While the sequel Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon takes place in multiple mansions and the most recent title Luigi’s Mansion 3 takes place in a haunted hotel, all three games have you solving puzzles and capturing ghosts with a vacuum cleaner. Besides the single player campaigns, the second and third titles feature separate multiplayer modes that can be played locally or online making these also excellent titles for a Halloween get-together.

Terrordrome: Reign Of Legends (Microsoft Windows)

Terrordrome: Reign of Legends takes the mechanics of fighting games such as Mortal Kombat and puts a spin on it by replacing the characters with horror icons. Live your fantasy of seeing who would win a fight between Leatherface and Jason Vorhees. While this game doesn’t offer the traditional scares of a horror game, it does provide a more combat oriented form of entertainment. 

Pumpkin Jack (Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, Microsoft Windows)

Pumpkin Jack is a hack and slack action platformer. The levels all offer a variety of enemies and the artstyle looks incredible. The locations all have a spooky atmosphere and learning the combat feels rewarding. If you are fond of old school hack and slash games such as MediEvil, then this spooky game will feel great.

Ghostbusters: Spirits Unleashed (PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, Microsoft Windows)

Similar to Dead By Daylight, this game is more oriented to all ages. Players can choose to play as either a member of the Ghostbuster team or the ghost itself. Customization is offered on both sides so for a personal spin. The ghostbuster team comes with a wide variety of items and more can be unlocked as players progress. The ghost also has abilities that can let it possess objects around the map or even defend itself against the other team. The game is a great option for fans of the movies and new players looking to play with friends and family.