Sonoma County local theater roundup: April 4–May 1

Photo illustration by Jessica Johnson
Until it can make a safe return to public performance, local theatre is still virtual for now, but don’t worry; online theatre is at its best and improving every performance.

As another month of online learning begins, Sonoma County theaters bring more entertainment right to your computer. From local playwrights to student-based works, the theater community has a lot to offer this month.

“Sensitive Guys” | Zoom Theater | April 4

A small liberal arts college gets a lesson in performative justice in a play that features only female identifying and non-binary performers in male and female roles. Two student-led groups, the Men’s Peer Education Group and the Women’s Survivor Support Group, work symbiotically to end sexual violence. Progress is made until a member of the men’s group is accused of sexual assault. Can anyone actually take down the patriarchy? The play satirizes our problematic culture and examines the complexities of complicity and masculinity.

This production will be live streamed at 3 p.m. on April 4. Tickets are free but they are limited to 100 patrons per performance.

“Mars Station Chrysalis” | Cloverdale Performing Arts Center | April 17–May 22

What if you were stuck with six people who became the only six people in your life? Indoors. For a year. Oh, and you are on Mars.

Given the task of setting up a new colony, the crew of Mars Station Chrysalis must become self-sufficient while studying family units. Through the six-week streaming series, one might start to wonder: is six people going to be enough?

This weekly pre-recorded series will be available on demand. The first episode will be posted April 17. Tickets are $30 for the whole series. Each week a link to a new installment will be emailed.

“Sonnets for an Old Century” | Sonoma State University | April 8–11

In this anthology play, characters from all walks of life create sonnets to send their last words and thoughts into the universe. Are they reading their own eulogies? Can they encapsulate their entire lives in one poem?

There are two programs, A and B, which feature different sonnets.

This performance is pre-recorded. Program A will be streamed at 7 p.m. April 8, 2 p.m. April 10 with a live Q&A after the show and 7 p.m. April 11. Program B will be streamed at 7 p.m. April 9 with a live Q&A after the show, 7 p.m. April 10 and 2 p.m. April 11. Tickets are free.

“Overcome” | Santa Rosa Junior College | April 23–May 1

After years of fires and floods and a year with COVID-19, a community comes together in one shared feeling, that of being overcome. But they also refuse to just give up. Created by SRJC students, “Overcome” will feature storytelling, dance, poetry and music to explore the students personal experiences of tragedy and triumph in a time when we could all use a little inspiration.

Performances will stream live through YouTube at 7:30 p.m. on April 23, 24, 30 and May 1 and 2 p.m. on May 2. Donations are encouraged starting at $5.