A night of shorts : The 9th Annual Sonoma County Student Film Festival commences!

Come watch a variety of short films created by aspiring film students from Sonoma County.
No plans this Friday? Check out the 9th Annual Sonoma County Student Film Festival on Friday April 7, 2017. The festival starts at 7 p.m. at the Santa Rosa Junior College in the Carole L. Ellis Auditorium with a pre-festival mixer at 6 p.m., and it’s free!

This year the festival will consist of 23 films that range from two to 14 minutes long. SRJC Communication Studies faculty member Brian Antonson calls it a “strong lineup of films that come from a variety of schools in the area, with a variety of animation, documentary and fiction.”

Celine Gossage, 19, who is majoring in digital journalism, has her psychological horror film “Perfection” showing in the festival. Gossage, the director of the film, says “[it’s] really about how we let our demons get the best of us, and how letting people’s expectations of our success define us can only hurt us in the end.” This is her first time submitting to a film festival but she “will continue to make films for as long as [she] can.”

It’s always great to see the creative works of the students. One of the cool things about some of these films is work put in from others than just the media students. According to Antonson, they use “actors from the theater department and original compositions in music.”

Go to the festival, you never know if the next Scorsese or Spielberg will be there. There are a ton of creative minds out there and this is a good place to see some of their early work. Antonson states “[The festival] showcases a lot of new and emerging talent in the area.” The films awarded “Best of Show” will be featured in the Petaluma Film Festival in May.