The news site of Santa Rosa Junior College.

SRJC’s secret gem opens latest show

Curated+display+conceptualizing+artistic+abstraction+below+SRJC%E2%80%99s+Doyle+library.+
Curated display conceptualizing artistic abstraction below SRJC’s Doyle library.

Arthur Gonzales-Martin

Arthur Gonzales-Martin

Ruby Zhang, Staff Writer

On the ground floor of Santa Rosa Junior College’s Doyle Library in the Robert F. Agrella Art Gallery, the display “Forgotten Words” shows the work of six artists and the unique ways they express stories, memories and the connection between them.

One artist, Edith Garcia Monnet, uses different forms of media to reflect unique experiences from throughout her lifetime. The artwork, “It looks so blue” is quite remarkable. Monnet uses outrageous color to express her artwork.

Artist Kari Marboe invites visitors to engage socially and interact with each other through sculptures. She thinks it’s time for people to experience the joyful moments of her artwork and forget social restriction. One of her earlier pieces, “Touching Sculptures,” is a combination of ceramics about tender, funny, sexy and close moments between people.

“It’s very special to touch the sculptures and physically experience the variety of materials,” said Lori Almeida, one of the docents.

Korean-American artist Victoria Jang combines traditional Korean techniques creating sculptures made of nails and other materials. Jang grew up in eastern New Jersey and focuses on the issues of immigration and interactions between minorities. This awareness impacts her art work.

“I can see that there are a variety of media and political contents in her art work. It’s fascinating,” Almeida said.

Ben Woodruff, an SRJC student who works in the art gallery, affirms Jang’s work is unique.

“There are several techniques which she is using in combination with other materials. I like it a lot,” he said.

The art gallery is a great chance for students to learn more about art sculptures.

Student Annesa Hesta said, “I want to know more about the sculptures. At the same time, I can see that all of the artwork is the combination of complex and simple color.”

Art professor Donna Larsen says the work is a bit difficult for students to understand.

“They may not be familiar with contemporary art that is happening in New York and San Francisco,” said Larsen, who believes it’s still worth the time to check out “Forgotten Words”.

This exhibit invites all SRJC students to learn about art, and offers great opportunities for local artists to display their talent. Make sure to see the amazing artwork “Black Fish” from Victoria Jang as it emphasizes the discrimination of black people.

Exhibits run Feb. 21 through March 16.

Arthur Gonzalez-Martin
New Jersey artist Victoria Jang explores discrimination in her work.

Arthur Gonzales-Martin