Dress to Impress

Local indie shops provide alternatives to Spirit Halloween

Rachel Genthe, Assistant A&E Editor

Seasonal festivities are starting, and October is the month where everyone wants to score “best dressed” and know their holiday budgets will be well spent.

Yes it’s true, Spirit Halloween is found on every corner offering easy costumes in a bag. But why go to a generic store when locally-owned shops have better merchandise, better prices and a better experience? Here are six spots in Sonoma County that can add flair to your party-filled Halloween.

Both Aubergine Vintage Emporium & Cafe, located on Petaluma Road, and Funk & Flash, found on S Main Street, are a short drive away in Sebastopol.

Neither are hard to find and both are an adventure to visit. Aubergine, a large consignment shop, has clothing pieces and accessories for unique costumes such as a wall of stockings, categorized clothing and other fun trinkets. Funk & Flash offers many choices for the Burning Man enthusiast or faux-fur lover with items like boots, belts, wigs and more.

Petaluma is also a great destination for costume shoppers. The Thrifty Hippy, close to downtown on Petaluma Boulevard North, has vinyl records and cassette tapes as well as cheap racks of clothing to perfect your Halloween costumes.

Heebe Jeebe General Store, on Kentucky Street, does not offer full costumes but does sell accessories such as masks and hats. It’s also a great spot to check out for Halloween decor.

Closer to Santa Rosa Junior College campus, check out Disguise the Limit in Railroad Square. It’s an easy place to find full costumes of well made quality and pieces to accent an almost-finished outfit along with theatrical make-up. Every Halloween, this shop goes all out for decorations, another reason to make a stop.

Hot Couture Vintage, found on the corner of Third and Wilson Street sells vintage clothing from the 50s and 60s era, giving inspiration for classy costumes. Walking into this store feels like walking back in time to the Mad Men era, when men and women shopped for specialty items like furs and oxfords at small mom-and-pop stores.

By choosing to shop locally instead of at big national franchises, you help small businesses keep their doors open for future Halloweens. Be creative this season and keep more money in your pocket.

About the Photographer
Arthur Gonzalez-Martin, Staff Writer

Arthur, a neurotypical left-leaning centrist/blue dog whose been going to the SRJC for seven years to exploring everything it has to offer till he took...