Bear Cubs outfielder and pitcher Alex Leopard strikes out the side to close out the 21-9 victory against College of Marin on Tuesday, Feb. 21, 2023 in Santa Rosa.
Bear Cubs Spotlight: Alex Leopard
Oliver Kindt, Sports Reporter • February 26, 2024
An additional four to six-week delay faces students who have already submitted their FAFSA for 2024-2025 academic year.
FAFSA Updates Result in More Delays
Amy Moore, Reporter • February 14, 2024

‘Luma Illuminates short films at the Mystic

Lots of film shorts; matinee, afternoon, world and late night shorts

Santa Rosa Junior College and the Petaluma Film Alliance will celebrate their eighth annual film festival May 7 consisting of short films, accompanied by panels of directors, actors and other professionals to discuss each film with the audience.

Each showcase screens nine to 10 short films. “There’s really no other venue where you can get this variety of storytelling for the price of a single movie ticket,” said Mike Traina, SRJC media instructor and event organizer. The one-day event May 7 at the Mystic Theatre in Petaluma consists of four screenings, matinee shorts at noon, afternoon shorts at 3 p.m., world shorts at 7:30 p.m. and late night shorts at 10:30 p.m.

The festival has never existed purely for entertainment, but also as a platform to spread a variety of ideas and opinions from around the world. This year’s lineup tackles issues such as gay rights, civil unrest and gender identity.

The festival organizers used a new system to receive entries this spring. The website Film Freeway netted more than 1,000 film submissions—five times more than last year. A team of students, instructors and community members meticulously combed through the films to create the final 38-film lineup.

Among this lineup are four films SRJC students created, including “The Berninator,” a film satirizing modern Hollywood action films with presidential candidate Bernie Sanders as the pivotal super hero. There will also be a screening of “Bear Story,” the Oscar-award-winning animated short.

This event serves to bring together the community of not only SRJC but the entire county. “Events like this have a unique energy,” Traina said. “It’s nice once a year to have such a flagship event in downtown. It’s good for the community and the college.”