Batman vs. Superman, dawn of boredom

Batman vs. Superman, dawn of boredom

Action scenes were action packed but flaws in character execution and overall laziness made this film fall flat.

Courtesy of Masterherald.com

Courtesy of Masterherald.com

Courtesy of Masterherald.com

Arthur Gonzalez-Martin, Staff Writer

“Batman V Superman,” one of the most hyped comic book movies of the year, was announced back in 2013 as not only a sequel to “Man of Steel” but the start of DC’s cinematic universe, as DC is currently playing catch up to Marvel. DC, unlike Marvel, still has the film rights for all of their characters, with Batman and Superman having over 20 films live and animated. They have been dominating American animation more than Marvel, so you would think the start of their cinematic universe would be great. Unfortunately, this isn’t being set up as well

This film is a paradox. I don’t know if I should be raging against it or loving it. I hadn’t seen or read anything about except for the basic trailer, making this one of the few movies I didn’t go out of my way to spoil. I was hyped for this first ever live action crossover and…I’m still not sure how I feel about it.

The movie? Was just OK. To start off with yes Batman kills people with guns and it shows characters for the upcoming films as cameos. Why, there’s one to two minute shot of a jar of Lex Luthor’s pee.

“Batman V Superman” takes place about 18 months after “Man of Steel.” The world hasn’t fully recovered from the battle with Zod and his army. The US government is trying to figure out what to do about Superman being an unstoppable force of nature. Batman, who has the fastest retelling of a superhero origin story yet, is trying to find a way to kill Superman as revenge for the death of his employees from the big fight in the last film. The government hires Lex Luthor, a Silicon Valley style businessman and scientist, who tries to get Superman and Batman to fight for reasons for reasons, ranging from screw God to daddy issues. That’s about it plotwise.

The film is about two hours long and still feels way too rushed, as the overall pace feels heavily edited. The prologue is as fast as acts one through three and it doesn’t slow down to explain itself nor speed up for the fights. This confusing pace never ends.

It’s a mess to keep up with Batman waking from nightmares and visons that are never made clear and training with fight scenes mixed in. Superman being symbolized as a Jesus figure constantly questioning if he’s doing the right thing despite all the blame being on everyone else. A man in a wheelchair whose storyline never goes anywhere except a living bomb and Wonder Woman passes in and out of the frame until the end. If the rumors of originally being a R-rate three-hour film is true, than this explains why the pace was so strange.

This film’s take on Lex Luthor, played by Jesse Eisenberg and now dubbed Lex Luthor Jr. by the web, is a mixed bag as the film’s main antagonist. The other main bad guy of the film is Doomsday who’s just a hulking rock monster. Doomsday’s sole character trait and background is being the guy who kill Superman, so there is not much you can do with him. Lex in this film is updated to be a mix of a Mark Zuckerberg dotcommer millionaire, and Steve Jobs. He comes off as socially awkward in public but smart as hell and mad off of his own ego in private, with possible psychic alien vision dreams like Batman’s, He’s immature to a whole new level. he could have been a good villain if he wasn’t so incompetent.

If anything saves this movie it’s the fight scenes, most of which are of Batman fighting criminals using gunplay mixed with martial arts. If you can get past Batman shooting and killing people and that the Batman vs Superman fight is one-sided fistfight with green smoke bombs, you might enjoy your self

This could have been a good film. Fans have been waiting for DC to do something like this for years after Marvel. But this is trying to set up too much with too little time. And it suffers for it. Let’s just hope “Justice League part 1” and “Suicide Squad” does better or this is going to be a very short cinematic universe.

About the Writer
Arthur Gonzalez-Martin, Staff Writer

Arthur, a neurotypical left-leaning centrist/blue dog whose been going to the SRJC for seven years to exploring everything it has to offer till he took...

8 Comments

8 Responses to “Batman vs. Superman, dawn of boredom”

1. Charles Hughes on April 25th, 2016 5:39 am

Does anyone remember the cartoons? More contemporarily, the incredibles? Lots of death, guns, violence, in an animated medium aimed at adults, but flocked to by kids.

2. Randy Grenier on April 25th, 2016 6:34 am

I think design, acting, directing, and action sequencing was fine. It all boils down to bad writing.

3. James on April 25th, 2016 8:04 am

I just saw the movie as well. DC is missing a Stan Lee who makes sure things fit together and work. This film should be quickly followed up with a Man of Steel:Superman lives then go into the JL. The whole point of retelling the Batman story and the tomb scene was to setup the inevitable alliance of the JL and that worked. This Batman was a rage filled idiot. Not the disciplined playboy of the Dark Knight. Its still not to late though but DC / Warner is going to miss its chance if they don’t bring in a strong hand to helm this franchise. They should have went for the 3 hour R rating. This was not a kids movie.

4. Gabe on April 25th, 2016 3:15 pm

Sounds to me like you’re just whining. If you weren’t able to follow the story of batman vs superman then you maybe you should just stick with marvels tacky, cookie cutter vibe where the hero saves the day and gets the girl every time. There is so much hate for this movie because it is different. Yet when marvel tries out a darker tone with a more grim story it gets praised and applauded for trying something new. Irony is an understatement here.

5. Eric on April 25th, 2016 7:19 pm

Movies was good, couple things could have been changed that made it awesome!!
    A lot better than most other super hero movies.

Thank god DC is different and does not do all the same vanilla movies..

6. Arron on April 25th, 2016 9:24 pm

I think you got it wrong or didnt follow the psce, abeit itbwas awkward. The only sequence he kills people is in a vision/nightmare he had of the future. It’s a premonition of the eventual major villain (Apocalypse) where by then Batman abandons his morals and uses guns. He doesn’t actually shoot people in present time, but you know he’s getting close since he’s branding criminals.

7. jason on April 26th, 2016 10:54 am

batman vs superman has 11 records $851 million dollars and its gonna do more everything about the movie is great im tired of people dumping on the movie if people dont like it they shouldnt go see it but quit slaming it lots of movies hasnt made a billion dollars and been great movies ben affleck henry cavill are great in the movie the action the writing the cgi its all great zack made a great movie i will definitly buy it the collectors edition to add to my movie library have a blessed day bye.

8. Danny on April 26th, 2016 2:17 pm

This title does little to shine any light on anything new. Should have been titled “article of Boredom”

*

• Batman vs. Superman, dawn of boredom

The Oak Leaf Spring 2019 Magazine

• Batman vs. Superman, dawn of boredom

Relaxing hikes in Sonoma County

• Batman vs. Superman, dawn of boredom

CBD: A natural remedy for today’s ills?

• Batman vs. Superman, dawn of boredom

Step into the daylight and let it go: Title IX sheds light on the realities for sexual assault survivors

• Batman vs. Superman, dawn of boredom

Makeup has no gender

• Batman vs. Superman, dawn of boredom

Passion for fashion

• Batman vs. Superman, dawn of boredom

In the dugout with Amy

• Batman vs. Superman, dawn of boredom

Go! Fight! Win! With Dori Elder

• Batman vs. Superman, dawn of boredom

Soaring to new heights

• Batman vs. Superman, dawn of boredom

A second chance at life

Batman vs. Superman, dawn of boredom