Bloody Good Time

“You’re Next” is an amazing horror film that follows the new trend in horror started by Drew Goddard’s “Cabin in the Woods,” a movie that seemed to shatter what horror films audiences could expect.

After setting up the initial threat by introducing the star killers in their animal masks and scrawling the films name in blood on the windows for good measure, the movie shifts perspective to a family reunion where we are introduced to the main protagonists for the remainder of the film.

The story may seem a little familiar, with teacher Crispian (A.J Bowen) setting off with his new girlfriend, Erin (Sharni Vinson) to his family country estate to introduce her to his family. When they arrive we are then treated to the rest of the family, Crispian’s parents, siblings Drake (Joe Swanburg) Aimee (Amy Seimetz) and Felix (Nicolas Tucci) as well as their partners. The scene that follows is one that is not expected in this type a movie as it seems to belong more in a comedy like “Meet the Parents” than a slasher horror flick, mostly due to the rivalry between Crispian and his self-righteous brother Drake.

The movie switches tone half way through dinner and that’s when the real horror begins, as an arrow flies through a window and beings a deadly game of cat and mouse. This is where the brilliance of “You’re Next” sets in. Whenever the movie starts to follow the usual beat of a traditional horror film, it goes the other way, keeping the audience on their toes. Credit must be given to writer Simon Barrett and Director Adam Wingard for knowing the classic beats to horror films and subverting them at ever corner. The threat for these characters is very real and terrifying and the kills are so unique you won’t really see them coming.

Without ruining the movie, a special mention has to go to one unassuming actor who turns into what basically amounts to a killing machine by the end of the movie. The actor in question delivers such a strongly believable performance that there’s been a lot a talk that he or she may very well become one of the next horror icons when the movie finally hits.

The film is a true crowd-pleaser for anyone who enjoys horror movies. It clearly shows that people who know and love true horror films made it. With a fresh take on the slasher genre and a superb cast that truly shines and brings a reality to the movie, “You’re Next” may be one of the most entertaining and pleasing horror films this year, one that shouldn’t be missed.