Legally Blonde: Snaps for Fun

Legally Blonde: The Musical has arrived on the SRJC stage to dazzle audiences with its catchy songs and flashy outfits.
“Legally Blonde: The Musical” has arrived on the SRJC stage to dazzle audiences with its catchy songs and flashy outfits.

“Legally Blonde: The Musical” took over SRJC’s Burbank Auditorium in a glorious explosion of pinky hues, sparkle and sorority pride during its premiere night April 19.

From walls adorned with pictures of opening night to the colored tickets, it was evident that theatergoers would be treated to a full experience even before the show had commenced.

The SRJC show is based on the hit movie and Broadway musical. Its set design hit every note of their interpretation with masterful construction.

Though Elle’s outfits reigned supreme in the costume category, the remaining lavish costumes that clothed the large cast equally suited each character well, allowing personalities to appear through their outfits.

The costumes, set design and cast appeared on stage effortlessly through each song and dance number and it was difficult not to find your eyes bouncing back and forth onstage to see every detail.

Energetic, sassy and hilarious, the many talents of Elle’s Sigrid Forsythe were highlighted in her performance as she entertained the audience with her engaging dance, acting and comedic skills.

Her blonde locks and ditzy, but secretly smart, persona made the character of Elle believable and entertaining to watch scene after scene.

Numbers such as “What You Want” and “Legally Blonde Remix” were so well choreographed and energetic that you would have to be the most miserable person in the nation to not have the urge to start tapping your foot along to the music.

“Blood in the Water,” performed by Christopher Gonzalez as Professor Callahan, showcased the villainous character and though Gonzalez became a little too slaphappy with his “evil genius” persona, he effectively commanded the audience’s attention whenever he appeared on stage.

Other numbers revealed the impressive talents of the remaining cast. In “Ireland,” Audrey Tatum as Paulette sang beautifully and exposed the raw vocal talent present in the show.

Another powerhouse lay in Vivienne, played by Kayla Kearney, who held notes and kept pitch like nobody’s business.

Blake Chandler was perfect as the arrogant and snobby Warner and displayed his own comedic abilities throughout the show, though his singing was occasionally too soft for the loud and overconfident role.

Zachary Hasbany portrayed the dorky and loveable character of Emmett and showcased strength in his vocal numbers.

The comedic bits, or rather chunks, in “Legally Blonde: The Musical” never missed a beat, whether the audience’s laughing appeared from seeing a dialogue offstage, viewing the dancing antics within the ensemble, or noticing just how adorable and possibly stricken with stage fright the dogs, Bruiser and Rufus, were during their scene-stealing appearances.

It was moments like these and smaller roles like those of Elle’s mother and father, Kyle the package deliveryman and the two lovers’ dance from “Gay or European” that kept the show energetic, hilarious and appealing.

The cast, costumes, musical numbers and comedic touches provided the audience with a memorable night. To have had that much fun surely can’t be legal.

Anna Hecht, Staff Writer