Recipe: Curry Chicken

The word “curry,” is an umbrella term used by westerners in reference to a variety of dishes that originate in Southeast Asia. The use of various complex mixtures of exotic spices is the only real common thread.

Contrary to popular belief, not all curries are “hot” like many of the dishes found in traditional Indian or Thai food restaurants. While some people love hot curries, I prefer a sweet curry. Fortunately the spiciness can be adjusted to each individual’s taste with the addition of a little cayenne pepper.

Search the Internet for curry chicken and you will find literally hundreds of recipes. The recipe below is a variation of a few I’ve tried. I like it because it’s easy and versatile.  I usually cook for two, so I like recipes that have multiple personalities. This dish starts out as curry chicken vegetables and rice, and then turns into curry chicken salad the next day, which can be served in a sandwich, tortilla or lettuce cup and it tastes amazing in all its forms.

A quick note on curry powder: Curry powders, and spices in general, vary in potency. I recently discovered Penzey’s Spices in Montgomery Village, which I highly recommend. Their spices are dramatically more flavorful and aromatic than store-bought imposters, and their prices are comparable. In fact, the sweet curry powder, used in this recipe, is about half the price of the store-bought version if bought in a bag instead of a jar. If you are using a different kind of curry powder, you may have to adjust your measurements to taste.

Ingredients:

¾ – 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts

1 – 2 cups sliced fresh baby bella mushrooms

1 yellow onion, peeled and coarsely chopped

8 – 10 baby carrots quartered

2 tablespoons oil and 1 tablespoon butter for frying

½ cup sweet curry powder

1 cup chicken broth (from chicken)

¼ – ½ cup granulated sugar

Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Put the chicken breast in a pot and fill with water until covered. Add two teaspoons of salt, and some pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover pot and simmer for 20 – 30 minutes. While the chicken is poaching, prepare and begin cooking the vegetables.

In a large frying pan, cook onions and mushrooms in oil/butter mixture until the mushrooms have released some of their water and onions are translucent (about five minutes). Add carrots and simmer over low/medium heat, stirring occasionally until carrots start to soften (five to 10 more minutes).

Remove chicken from boiling water and dice into 1-inch pieces. Add chicken to vegetable mixture and continue to simmer on low heat.

In a bowl, add curry powder and ¼ cup sugar and mix with chicken broth. Pour mixture into frying pan and stir to coat chicken and vegetables evenly. Simmer until sauce is at desired thickness. Season with salt, pepper and sugar to taste. Serve over rice.

For Curry Chicken Salad:

Chill curry chicken in fridge over night.

On cutting board, chop chicken and vegetable mixture finely (1/8 inch dice), and return to bowl. Mix with a few tablespoons of mayonnaise (to desired consistency). Serve in a sandwich on crackers or in lettuce cups. Garnish with finely grated carrots and/or toasted pine nuts.