May Day: Review

The sweet lulls of the New Amsterdams and the timeless emo classics of The Get Up Kids have a common brilliance: singer Matt Pryor.

Pryor’s discography ranges well into double digits, with countless releases from both of his popular Indie bands.  He has proven he can produce great music, but Pryor’s solo albums are where his true talent shines.

Through Kickstarter funding and release through his own label, Nightshoes Syndicate, Pryor presents his “second” solo album titled May Day.

May Day features a stripped-down, coffee shop feel with sweet melodies of a harmonica, snippets of piano, banjo and guitar. The tracks feature no percussion; rather Pryor uses distinct vocal elements to simulate this instrument.

The album tracks seem to go back and forth between Pryor relaying heartache (As if I could fall in love with you again) and giving advice on life (Don’t let the Bastards get you down). Yes, Pryor’s simple, tender verses have a New Amsterdam/ Get Up Kids feel, but they fit perfectly into May Day’s folksy tune. If the bleeding of emotions are not your thing, then just listen to the music: the raw beauty of distorted, twangy guitar and banjo mixed with the playful piano is enough to get lost in.

One of the last songs, “your new favorite,” boasts a phrase “whistling your new song…” and after listening to May Day from start to finish there is no doubt listeners will be humming at least one of the tracks from the album.

Go buy May Day on iTunes, find it in a record store (gasp, what is that?) or download it. Whatever way you choose, just do: you will not regret it.