New and improved: SRJC Dream Center to re-open

A+new+partnership+with+the+Dream+Center+and+the+Vital+Immigrant+Defense+Advocacy+and+Services+%28VIDAS%29+will+install+one+attorney+and+one+paralegal+that+can+provide+immigration+legal+services+at+no+cost+to+SRJC+students.+

A new partnership with the Dream Center and the Vital Immigrant Defense Advocacy and Services (VIDAS) will install one attorney and one paralegal that can provide immigration legal services at no cost to SRJC students.

Courtesy of SRJC Dream Center

Courtesy of SRJC Dream Center

Courtesy of SRJC Dream Center

Riley Palmer, Staff Writer

The Santa Rosa Junior College’s Dream Center is celebrating its re-opening from 2-4 p.m. on Feb. 21 at the Santa Rosa campus in Plover Hall room 539 and will now offer free legal services as part its expanded features.

This February SRJC’s Dream Center went under expansion and will begin a new relationship with Vital Immigrant Defense Advocacy and Services (VIDAS), which provides free legal advice and other services to undocumented students.

This new partnership with Vidas “will likely emerge as a cornerstone in best practices for Community College Dream Centers,” according to the Dream Center page on the SRJC website.

“[The event] is going to be about reintroducing the space to the community,” said Dream Center Coordinator Alma Valverde.

The new location intends to provide a safe environment for undocumented students, acknowledging the struggles these types of students go through in higher education, according to the SRJC website.

The college also intends to provide special programs for undocumented students. Like the Undocumented Student Week of Action, which the California Community Colleges Board of Governors declared would be a week of advocacy and activities to build awareness about undocumented students, with the first one taking place Oct. 15-19 in 2018.

SRJC President Dr. Frank Chong or Vice President of Student Services Pedro Avila will give a short speech at the event, according to Valverde.

About the Writer
Riley Palmer, Staff writer

Riley A. Palmer is a nursing student in her second year at Santa Rosa Junior College. In her second semester at the Oak Leaf, she is an intern writing...

1 Comment

One Response to “New and improved: SRJC Dream Center to re-open”

1. Lorenzo Aranda on February 22nd, 2019 9:43 am

It is very transparent to me that Dream Center program expansions ending up in the news all over the county is just an effort to distance themselves from the growing scandal involving their subsidiary (Dream Center Holdings) and the universities that they operate. They may be helping the homeless but they are also driving their students into homelessness by pocketing the federal funds that were supposed to go to them.

*

• New and improved: SRJC Dream Center to re-open

Oak Leaf Fall 2018 Magazine

From career-ending injury to Big 8 superstar: Overcoming adversity to lead the league

Back in the saddle again

Don’t buy a DUMB camera; use your SMART phone

From Germany to the JC

Tietsort’s top five movies and video games of 2018

Open borders, open minds: SRJC welcomes international students

College students’ survival guide for living at home

Top *seven deals for students

Features

Turning over a new leaf