Men’s soccer bounces back to win two straight

Photo by Joe Barkoff/Oak Leaf
Omar Nuno rifles a shot on net past a diving defender against Merrit College Friday Aug. 29 at Sypher Field, Santa Rosa.

The Santa Rosa Junior College men’s soccer team bounced back after its loss  to win  6-0 against Skyline College Sept. 2, and win 1-0 against San Diego Mesa College Sept. 5.
The Sept. 2  game was scoreless until Omar Nuno scored one of three goals, with the first one coming in the 35th minute with assists from Angel Azevedo and Roberto Macias.
Nuno’s second goal came a few minutes later with assists from Nick Klimenko and Dantae Garcia, putting the Bear Cubs up 2-0 in the first half.
The second half was scoreless until Guilherme Aires scored at the 67th minute, getting assists from Azevedo and Nuno, making the score 3-0 SRJC.
Nuno’s third goal came during the 70th minute mark, unassisted.
Andrew Carlile made it 5-0 when he scored in the 72nd minute with help from Aires and Brian Izaguirre.
“It was a statement game for our guys to show what we’ve got,” Izaguirre said. “We had control of the game from the get go and we wanted to prove to ourselves that we could be lethal in attack and organized in defense.”
Manuel Alanis scored the final goal with assists from David Mwinga and Carlino, making the final score 6-0.
“We all came into the game thinking that we had to get a good result after the previous loss,” said Diego Benitez.
Benitez went on to say that the with the team’s high-scoring game, it will boost all of the team’s mentality and help them score more goals.
“We handled them defensively very well and could have had some better penetrating crosses, but overall we played well,” Klimenko said.
In the Sept. 5 game, Bear Cubs’ Andrew Carille scored the only goal of the game in the 47th minute with assists by Nuno and Andrew Tepping against San Diego Mesa College.
In the Aug. 29 game, the Bear Cubs lost 1-0 against Merritt College, with the lone score coming with five minutes left by Merritt’s Jesus Maldonado.
The Bear Cubs are now 3-1.
The next game for the Bear Cubs is at 4 p.m. Sept.  9 against  DeAnza College in Cupertino.
The Bear Cubs are home at 4 p.m. Sept 19 to take on San Francisco city college.