The Oak Leaf Variety Competition

Edgar Soria Garcia

Prompt: Write a 650-word or less, creative writing piece based on the photo prompt above. Your piece must be centered around the theme of “Change.” Your submission can be a short story, poem or any other creative piece.

The No. 1 submission will be published in the Fall 2019 Issue of The Oak Leaf Magazine.

Another five submissions will be published online for readers to vote for their favorite.

Email your submission to [email protected]

Include your name, phone number and email.

The proper format for submissions is either Google Docs or copy-paste text via email.

A confirmation email will be sent out and finalists will be notified of publication.

Thanks for your creative energy! Good luck!

Zane Zinkl
Zane Zinkl, Editor-in-Chief
Zane Zinkl is a sociology major in his third semester at The Oak Leaf, a publication crazy enough to name him editor-in-chief. Nobody is Zane. Zane is nobody. You look down at me only to see pickles for eyes. I am singing the song that gives birth to the universe. My body experiences a sudden lack of electrons. Across a variety of hidden dimensions you are dismayed. John Lennon hands me an apple, but it slips through my fingers. I am reborn as an ocelot. You disapprove.
Edgar Soria Garcia
Edgar Soria Garcia, Magazine Editor
Edgar Soria Garcia is in his final semester at The Oak Leaf; he is the magazine editor for Spring 2020. He hopes to transfer to Cal State Fullerton in the fall to get his bachelor’s in journalism. Edgar would describe himself as Shangela acting as Jennifer Lewis on Snatch Game (Rupaul’s Drag Race). Edgar is known for quoting Suga Free: “If you stay ready, you ain't got to get ready.”

• L

Laura McGinnisOct 23, 2019 at 1:06 am

What is the entry deadline for this competition?

• R

Riley PalmerOct 31, 2019 at 12:38 pm

The deadline for this competition will be November 7th, our apologizes for the response delay.