Theater shows are back this fall 

The+Theater+Arts+program+is+back+at+the+Burbank+Theater+starting+Sept.+30+with+fun+and+thought+provoking+performances+like+The+Spongebob+Musical+and+Stand+and+Deliver%2C+appropriate+for+the+whole+family.+
Courtesy SRJC theatre arts
The Theater Arts program is back at the Burbank Theater starting Sept. 30 with fun and thought provoking performances like “The Spongebob Musical” and “Stand and Deliver,” appropriate for the whole family.

The Santa Rosa Junior College theater arts department returns with a variety of fun performances this fall at Burbank Theater on the Santa Rosa campus.

“Stand and Deliver,” directed by Elizabeth Dale, is based on the Academy Award-nominated film about the true story of Jaime Escalante, a calculus teacher at Garfield High School in Los Angeles in the 1980s. Escalante worked with economically disadvantaged students, primarily Latino and written off by the education system. The Theater Arts Club is dedicating this performance to local teacher Roberto Ramirez.

Showtimes: 7:30 p.m. Sept. 30 and Oct. 1, 5, 7, 8.

2 p.m Oct. 2, 8, 9.

“The Spongebob Musical” is based on the popular Nickelodeon animated series by Stephen Hillenberg and shows Spongebob and company saving Bikini Bottom from destruction. The play is directed by Reed Martin. “The characters are the characters from the show, although they aren’t played in big Disney costumes,” said Leslie McCauley, theater arts department chair. “It’s the actor with suggestions of the character. It’s just full of fantastic creatures.”

Showtimes: 7:30 p.m. on Nov. 18, 19, 23, 25, 26 and Dec. 1, 2, 3.

2 p.m. on Nov. 20, 26, 27 and Dec. 3, 4.

“Gloria” is a drama-comedy production about millennial magazine editorial assistants in Manhattan who take part in a magazine competition. The play is directed by Leslie McCauley. The original Off-Broadway performance won a Pulitzer Prize for Drama in 2016.

Showtimes: 7:30 p.m. on March 3, 4, 8, 9, 10, 11.

2 p.m. on March 5, 11 and 12.

“The Addams Family, A New Musical Comedy” is a “goth-comic-retro revival” of the iconic TV show and comic strip. The play is directed by Laura Downing Lee focusing on fan-favorite character Wednesday falling for a normal man from a normal family, much to her father’s dismay.

Showtimes: 7:30 p.m. on April 21, 22, 27, 28, 29 and May 4, 5, 6.

2 p.m. April 23, 29, 30 and May 6, 7.

Tickets are $20-$25 and can be ordered online at https://srjc.universitytickets.com/w/, by phone at (707) 527-4307 and by email at [email protected].

For more information about showings, buying tickets and auditions visit the SRJC Theatre Department webpage.