OPINION: Wide-receiver Isaac Torres is next in line among SRJC football legends

Wide-receiver+Isaac+Torres+stiff-arms+a+Sierra+defensive+back+to+fight+for+extra+yards+and+gain+a+first+down+for+the+Bear+Cubs+in+their+34-21+victory+on+Saturday%2C+Nov.+12%2C+2022+in+Santa+Rosa.+Photo+by+
Tony Moeckel
Wide-receiver Isaac Torres stiff-arms a Sierra defensive back to fight for extra yards and gain a first down for the Bear Cubs in their 34-21 victory on Saturday, Nov. 12, 2022 in Santa Rosa. Photo by

After watching what a natural talent Isaac Torres is during multiple practices and games at Bailey Field, you would think he played the game of football his entire life. But the truth is quite the opposite.

Torres began his football career in high school because his older brother, Adrian, convinced him to play. “He [Adrian] is the reason why I am out here; he has driven me beyond what you could think of,” Torres said. “We had struggles growing up, and he has just pushed me my whole life.”

Before Santa Rosa Junior College, Torres played with fellow SRJC teammates Adrian Torres and Yonaton Isack at Piner in 2019. In that 2019 season, Torres broke out into the football scene with more than 1,000 yards receiving and 21 touchdowns as the Prospectors would go on to make the playoffs for the first time in five years and have their best record of the decade.

Torres replicated his high school breakout for the Bear Cubs’ 2022 season, with 51 receptions for 665 yards and seven touchdowns. Despite missing two games due to a concussion, Torres led the Bear Cubs in all receiving stats. Torres’ freshman year statistics are better than most SRJC sophomore receiver’s in recent years.

If Torres never missed the two games, I project his year-end statistics would have been 64 receptions for 831 yards and nine touchdowns. Statline is based off of game averages.

Continuing the breakout in 2023

Torres possesses the build, vast skill-set and raw talent to make his upcoming 2023 season the best wide-receiver season in SRJC history.

With a 6-foot-3-inch frame, if Torres isn’t acrobatically catching touchdowns in the back corner of the endzone, he is turning defensive backs around with his elite route-running and speed.

A major reason for a potential record-breaking season from Torres is that quarterback Santino Chavez will be throwing him the ball. In every game Chavez and Torres played together, their dynamic rapport is obvious. During the season, Chavez tried to find Torres as his safety blanket when the pocket broke down.

The deep-ball connection the two shared paid dividends during the 2022 season and is much of the reason why Torres caught five of his seven touchdowns from Chavez and posted three of four 100-yard performances when Chavez was under center. This deadly connection has the potential to light up defenses even more in the 2023 season.