SRJC women’s soccer team displays little offense in 1-0 loss

Fatima Zarco
The Bear Cubs battle against the Community College of San Francisco in Santa Rosa on Aug. 30, 2022.

The Santa Rosa Junior College women’s soccer team put up a valiant effort in its first game of the season, but fell short, losing 1-0 to the San Francisco City College Rams. 

Rams forward Alexandra Arouxet Jara scored the lone goal of the game in the 29th minute after the Rams controlled the ball for the majority of the first half. Jara managed to juke a defender and fake out Bear Cub goalie Paola Gomez on the way to her first goal of the season. The Rams gave up a plethora of opportunities in the first period, having six shot-on-goal attempts that narrowly missed. 

The Bear Cubs struggled throughout the game against a sharp and well-trained Ram attack. With small bursts of offense, the Bear Cubs were unable to find their groove, which led to the Rams dominating possession time.

The bright point for the Bear Cubs was forward Grace Messenger who had a shot-on-goal attempt and assisted on forward Yasmin Garcia’s two shot-on-goal attempts. Messenger picked up a yellow card early in the match which shut down a potential momentum shift. 

The Bear Cubs totalled seven shots-on-goal in their limited offensive possessions, but didn’t capitalize on any of them. 

Defender Abby Sabater went down with an ankle injury in the beginning parts of the period and defender Isabella Avila replaced her. Sabater’s injury weakened the Bear Cubs’ defense as they failed to pressure the Rams forwards.