Bear Cubs outduel Colts for 10th straight victory 

Jackson Ketron’s three-and-one-third perfect innings of relief pitching helped lead the Santa Rosa Junior College baseball team [11-1] to its closest victory of the season. SRJC won 3-2 over Cañada Community College Feb. 25 at Cook Sypher Field.

The Bear Cubs win streak has reached 10 games. They currently own the longest win streak in California.

Ketron entered the game in the fifth inning with the score tied at two. The sophomore proceeded to retire all 10 batters he faced. He struck out four and struck out the side in the ninth inning.

“I knew it was a big zone and I have a lot of trust in the guys behind me,” Ketron said. “I just hit the zone and let it happen from there.”

Bear Cubs’ designated hitter Matt Bone’s RBI double in the bottom of the sixth inning provided the Bear Cubs the lead and the game winning run.

The Bear Cubs trailed during a game for the first time since allowing a first inning run to College of the Redwoods on Feb. 5.

SRJC starting pitcher Matt Estes headed into the fourth inning with a 1-0 lead, but allowed a two run home run to Colts’ shortstop Dominic Giuliani.

Estes lumbered through his start giving up five walks and five hits in five-and-two-thirds innings. His two runs allowed raised his season ERA to 1.61.

In the bottom of the fifth inning, Bear Cubs’ leftfielder Mitch West ripped an RBI triple down the left field line. Bear Cubs’ catcher Charlie Magana scored from first base on the hit.

“We were struggling to bat but I found a pitch to hit hard,” West said. “It was lucky that it squeezed in.”

The Bear Cubs tallied just five hits, their lowest since their three hit effort in their only loss of the season against Chabot College on Jan. 30. The Bear Cubs have recorded at least 10 hits in every other game this season.

“It definitely wasn’t the best game for us,” Ketron said. “But we’ll learn from it and get better.”

The Bear Cubs face Cañada Community College again in their final non-conference game of the season at 1 p.m. Feb. 27 at Colts Field in Redwood City.