Women’s tennis thrives, as men’s hopes to survive

Santa Rosa Junior College women’s tennis team looks to repeat last year’s amazing championship season, while the men’s team enters a rebuilding period after losing nearly the entire team from the 2014-2015 season.

The men’s team completed last season with a 6-2 record in conference play and 10-4 overall, while the women’s team finished 10-0 in conference play and 11-5 overall.

The women’s team looks to answer last year’s season with a very deep and talented roster led by Betsy Rose Samonte, last year’s NorCal ITA Regional Champion.

“They are stacked,” said redshirt Adison Mowforth of the men’s team.

Head coach Jay Samonte believes his women’s team can repeat their previous success.

‘This is one of the toughest teams in Northern California. Compared to past teams this is [in the] top five,” Samonte said.

There are high expectations for the women’s team from the coaches and the players. Coach Samonte believes it’s a legitimate goal to win conference again this year.

“We are better than last year,” said Betsy Samonte.

The men’s team lost their top two players, Jonathan Pike and Landon Brown, from last year along with three of their other starters. The team went from nine to six players leaving the roster depleted. No tryouts occurred this season.

Samonte understands the men’s team will be a challenge this season and will be working with the players to develop their talent.

The lone return from last year’s team is Mathias Burlingame. He, along with newcomer Oscar Lam, are two talented standouts from the men’s team.

The season is still very early, and it should be noted that both team’s lineups are not fully decided as of yet.

Next up for both teams are meets against Modesto. The men’s team will play an away game Feb. 11, while the women’s team has a home match Feb. 9.