Bear Cubs unstoppable

The Bear Cubs softball team dominated with back-to-back wins from an outstanding pitching performance by Dana Thomsen Jan. 30 at Marv Mays Field in Santa Rosa.

Thomsen took the mound in the first game against Mendocino College, and struck out the side in the first two innings, tallying six strikeouts.

On the other side, the Bear Cubs’ offense got out to a fast start, hitting  three runs in the first inning and three more in the second. Walks and stolen basses attributed to the early runs along with a two-run single by Rachelle Butulia.

Things could have got much worse when a routine sac fly in the second inning scored one run but then turned into a Mendocino triple play ending the inning.

After only four innings the game was called when SRJC lead 10-0; the team only gave up one hit while totaling 13 strikeouts.

Game 2 was against College of the Redwoods, as once again, Thomsen got the call on the mound. This game started as more of a pitcher’s duel, when both pitchers threw three scoreless innings.

The game started to break open in the fourth inning when SRJC pushed one run across the board, and the CR catcher couldn’t handle a ball in the dirt, allowing the runners to advance, with one scoring.
Coming back out in the fifth inning Thomsen struck out the side, putting them down one, two, three.

In the bottom of the inning the Bear Cubs’ offense and confidence grew as they scored one run on an Ashley Stevens’ triple that rolled to the wall, and an error allowed Stevens to score, making the game 3-0.

After Thomsen shut down the CR in the sixth, a big five-run at the bottom of the inning gave SRJC a sizable 8-0 margin, leading to the victory.

For the day Thomsen pitched 10 innings, with 23 strikeouts in two dominant performances, while the offense put up 18 runs, proving the team can do it on both sides of the diamond.

The Bear Cubs started 2-0 and won another game Jan. 29 7-3 against Hartnel College, making them 3-0 on the season.

Their next game is at 2:30 p.m. Feb. 5 at Marv Mays field in Santa Rosa against Napa Valley College.