Bear Cubs shutout Sac City 3-0

The visiting Santa Rosa Junior College women’s soccer team came out strong, scoring first and never looked back, shutting out Sacramento City College 3-0 Oct. 9 in Sacramento.

Building the ball up from the back, Bear Cubs’ defender Kendra Kane played a through ball down the line aimed at midfielder Taylor Halstenson’s run into space. Halstenson drew a defender out and played a negative ball to Alissa Hickling for a goal in just the third minute of play, putting SRJC out front early 1-0.

Three minutes later SRJC extended the lead to 2-0 when midfielder Kaleen Belda converted an unassisted goal.

Halstenson collected a through ball and went one-on-one with the SCC goalkeeper. The goalie dove towards the left corner of her net deflecting the ball out of bounds resulting in a Bear Cub corner kick.

From the 18-yard box, forward Julia Lambert scored a two-touch shot after receiving a ball from Belda for a 3-0 lead at the end of the first half.

Matching the impressive scoring, the Bear Cubs dominated play against SCC creating multiple opportunities, not allowing a single shot on the Bear Cubs’ goal.

The Bear Cubs completed the first half of conference away when they took on Diablo Valley College, losing 1-0.

The Bear Cubs’ overall record is 8-4-1, with a conference record of 4-2-1.

The Bear Cubs next game is at 3:30 p.m. Oct. 21 against Sierra College in Grass Valley.