Bear Cubs heading strong into regular season

women's-soccer-9-20web

Santa Rosa Junior College women’s soccer team shut out Feather River College 2-0 home Sept. 20 to finish the preseason on a 3-0 winning streak.

The Bear Cubs came out strong, creating multiple early chances. In the 10th minute, freshman Julia Lambert high pressured the defense, creating a turnover. A dangerous cross from Lambert sailed past the far post out of bounds for a goal kick.

Building from the back, freshman Kendra Kane connected with the midfield by passing the ball to Kayleen Belda; Belda then set up forward Lambert for a two-touch shot that went wide of the goal. Coach Tracy Hamm said that this was the best soccer they’ve played so far this season, having “great rhythm and good possession.”

At the 43rd minute Belda dribbled down the line and kicked the ball off a defender for a corner kick. Sophmore Taylor Halstenson hit a beautifully placed ball into the box, where Natalia Picano lead the ball into the net for a 1-0 lead before the end of the first half.

FRC had its best opportunity when Ghana National player, Sherifatu Sumaila, with only the keeper to beat, fired the ball wide left.

In the 53rd minute, goalkeeper Morgan Jernigan intercepted a cross that was intended for a FRC forward at the far post. SRJC’s goalkeeper Jernigan earned a clean sheet for the match.

In the 57th minute, the Bear Cubs extended their lead to 2-0 when Belda chipped the goalie after receiving a through ball from Mar Alinas. With 14 minutes remaining in the game, the Bear Cubs had another close opportunity when freshman Darcy Forsythe shot a target that deflected off a FRC defender’s head for a corner shot. On the set piece, Halstenson played a nice ball into the middle of the six-yard box but a Golden Eagles’ keeper ended the chance on goal.

The Bear Cubs kick off conference play at 3:30 p.m. Sept. 23 against Sierra College at SRJC and then at 3:30 p.m. Sept 26 against Cosumnes River College in Sacramento.