Hockey Championship: Ice champs again!

Photo courtesy of Lakita Knight
SRJC players Adam Johnson, Sam Davis and Blake Johnson pose with the PHCA trophy.

A forfeit was not the way that the Santa Rosa Junior College Hockey team wanted to win its second division title in two years, but after a streak of unsportsmanlike conduct, Santa Clara University conceded the Pacific Collegiate Hockey Association championship game Feb. 9, 5-3.

SRJC took its season domination into the PCHA Tournament, with a 17-0 record against division rivals. After beating Sacramento State University Feb. 8 to advance to the next round, it was clear from the get-go that a win over Santa Clara would not come as easily as before.

SRJC started out slow, allowing Santa Clara a 2-0 lead at the end of the first period. Confidence seemed low as players left the ice for the first intermission, but completely turned it around when they came out for the next period.

“Tom [SRJC’s head coach] told us to keep it positive, keep the wheels turning,” said forward Jackson Joyce. “We were on pace to win the game and needed to believe they couldn’t skate with us.”

Jimmy Reed shifted the momentum in SRJC’s favor as he scored two quick goals. Santa Clara answered back, but its lead was short-lived as SRJC’s Sam Davis scored on a power play to end the period at a 3-3 tie.

The third period was a mix of petty fights and power play opportunities. SRJC points leader Josiah Nikkel scored just as a power play was ending to open the third period, then seconds later forced another penalty. The Polar Bears were not able to capitalize on that man advantage, but did on the next 5-on-3 play. From the left side of the goal, John Keshishian put one in for a 5-3 lead.

From there, everything crumbled for Santa Clara. Angered over the last play, the team’s goalie confronted the referee and was ejected for abuse of an official. Tempers flared on the Santa Clara bench, with several players receiving penalties and the head coach being ejected. Without a backup goaltender, Santa Clara forfeited the last 4:30 of the game.

After a bit of confusion, SRJC rushed the ice. The team accepted the PCHA trophy and division trophies, and then victoriously hoisted them in the air. The celebration was short lived, as the team anxiously awaits the American Collegiate Hockey Association Regional playoffs Feb 21-23.

“The team’s attitude is really great and we’ve got a lot of confidence going into playoffs,” said defenseman Steven Dempsey. “We know it’s going to be a challenge for us, but our heads are in the right place. We’re a really clicking as a team, and that’s really all you can ask for at this time of year.”