Men’s basketball climbs to second place in Big 8

Joseph Barkoff / Oak Leaf
Santa Rosa Junior College guard Davone Oliver springs for a layup in a Jan. 31 game against Modesto Community College. The Bear Cubs won, 94-70.

The SRJC Bear Cubs maintained their composure in an intense home game and won 94-70 against Modesto Community College on Jan. 31.

A week earlier, SRJC [6-2] started the game flat on the road and couldn’t find its rhythm against Diablo Valley College in a 54-62 loss.

“We just missed a lot of wide open shots, and we didn’t get inside much either,” said team captain Alec Kobre.

Head coach Craig McMillan commended DVC’s defense for his team’s poor shooting on Jan. 24.

The team traveled to Sacramento on Jan. 28, to play first place Cosumnes River College, serving them their first conference loss.

SRJC forward Brian Johnson held CRC’s leading scorer, Jaycob Velasco, who averages 17 points per game, to a meager five points.

“He [Velasco] hit two buckets like the first two possessions of the game and he didn’t get another point after that,” McMillan said. “Brian just played great defense.”

The road win put the Bear Cubs one game out of first place. “That was a real big win for us, we really needed that,” said team captain Luke Cocheran.

In preparation for the game last Friday, SRJC knew they had to keep Modesto’s quick players out of the paint, especially because Modesto handed DVC a 79-57 loss the game after DVC beat the Bear Cubs.

Before the opening tip-off Modesto sunk two technical foul shots due to a rim violation by SRJC during warm ups.

From the start, both teams pushed the ball up the court and matched up into man-to-man defense.

SRJC didn’t give up any easy shots on defense and spread around the perimeter on offense, working the ball inside-out to open up space for their three-point shooters.

After six minutes, SRJC settled into a 17-10 lead.

Ten minutes into the first half, SRJC guard Davone Oliver re-entered the game after trainers taped his ankle. On a hurt ankle, Oliver hit a three-point shot and continued to score; he finished the half with nine points.

“We came out with a lot of energy, played good defense from the start, and shots were falling,” coach McMillan said.

Alec Kobre, despite playing limited minutes because of two early fouls, finished the half with thirteen points.

The Bear Cubs led 52-31 at halftime.

Although Modesto players left the court flustered at the half, they came out of the locker room looking like a different team. Modesto went on a 5-0 run in the first two minutes of the second half. “Modesto came out second half pretty strong and really aggressive,” McMillan said. “Our defensive intensity didn’t match what it was in the first half.”

However, SRJC stayed calm and freshman guard Matthew Hayes answered with two three-point shots. “Coach just told me to come out shooting, so that’s what I did,” Hayes said.

Along with Hayes’ three pointers, Brian Johnson’s two blocked shots helped keep the momentum in SRJC’s favor.

The bear cubs ran out the clock toward a 94-70 victory.

Oliver, who finished the second half with seven points, said his ankle injury is not serious.

“It was a pretty solid team win,” he said.

SRJC had four players score in double digits: Johnson-15, Oliver-16, Hayes-19 and Kobre led all scorers with 23 points.

“I was happy overall with the way we played,” McMillan said.

The Bear Cubs take on Sacramento City College [4-4], at home on Feb. 11.