Three-point shots seal victory over American River College for streaking SRJC Men’s basketball

Joseph Barkoff / Oak Leaf
Kai Drewry goes up for a not-so-routine layup against ARC Jan. 21 in Haehl Pavillion.

The men’s basketball team lit up the scoreboard Jan. 2, sinking 14 three-pointers in an 89-57 win against American River College.

The SRJC men’s basketball team (11-7) plays tough defense, rebounds the ball and makes a high percentage of three-point shots.

Coming off a 27-6 overall record last season and making it to the third round of the playoffs, the Bear Cubs are poised to make another run this season.

“This year we lost a good amount of veteran experience and talent,” said sophomore forward Brian Johnson.

“However, our coach did a good job in recruiting to fill these spots with the addition of Matt Hayes, Devon Oliver, Corey Hammel and Kai Drewry. They have come in as freshmen and are playing heavy minutes.”

Corey Hammel, a 6-foot-6-inch freshman out of Cardinal Newman High School, leads the Bear Cubs in rebounding, averaging seven rebounds per game.

Kai Drewry had a big first half against ARC, scoring 14 points and making three three-pointers. Drewry attributed his high-scoring first half to solid team basketball.

“With so many good players on this team it makes it easy,” Drewry said, who ranks third on the team in rebounding, averaging five per game.

Every season sees changes in personnel, but this squad  has picked up where last season’s left off.

“This team is similar to last year’s. We shoot the ball well,” said head coach Craig McMillan.

Team captain and leading scorer Alec Kobre is averaging 15.8 points and 1.8 assists per game.

“Alec’s having a great season, he’s a third-year guy that’s been phenomenal,” McMillan said.

The team played a grueling pre-conference schedule, losing some close games, but McMillan saw his players develop confidence going into the regular season.

“We had the toughest schedule in the state.  We battled,” McMillan said.

The Bear Cubs went into conference with five consecutive pre-season wins, including a championship win over Yuba College in the Kris Kringle Tournament.

“We got on a little win streak and started playing better defense,” Kobre said.

After the Jan. 21 win, SRJC’s conference record stands at 4-1.

Looking toward the rest of the conference, it is hard to say which teams will cause SRJC the most trouble.

“Every team in the league can beat any other team. It’s the team that is most consistent,” McMillan said.

The Bear Cubs look to stay consistent and secure a spot in the playoffs.

“As our chemistry increases on the court the level our team plays at also increases,” Johnson said. “So as a team we can only get better from here.”

Their next home game is against Modesto Junior College at 7:30 p.m. Jan. 31 in Haehl Pavillion.