Bengals ready to roll

Tackling, running game, receivers at their best and Andy Dalton playing well are the keys to getting past the first round in the playoffs for the Cincinnati Bengals.

The Cincinnati Bengals are ranked sixth in defense holding opponents to an average of 313 yards a game. The defense’s superb tackling is one of the reasons this team has held up in close games. They held the Patriots on fourth and goal with under two minutes left in a 13-6 win. They beat both the Lions and Bills in overtime with an assist from the offense 27-24.

The defense is full of talented players, like nose tackle Domato Peko, middle linebacker Rey Maualuga, left corner back Terrence Newman, and weak-side linebacker Vontaze Burfict. Burfict leads the team with 131 tackles through the first 12 games of the season. Burfict is on pace to add 54 more tackles before season ends, not including the playoffs. Left defensive end Carlos Dunlap leads the team with seven sacks.

This defensive squad has beat top teams like the New England Patriots and the Green Bay Packers. They have faced their toughest challenges so far this season. The only challenge left will be the Indianapolis Colts, Dec. 8.

The running game has not been the best this year, but with BenJarvus Green-Ellis rushing for a measly 614 yards so far this season and Giovani Bernard has rushed for 521 yards. Green-Ellis and Bernard both have four touchdowns so far. The running game is not carrying the team, but it will help take some pressure off Dalton.

The receivers are also a big factor for the Bengals, as they need to be on track with Dalton. A.J. Green is the star receiver and is leading the team with 1,103 yards and seven touchdowns this season. Green and Dalton have been a lethal combination since they came to the NFL in 2011. They have tight end Tyler Eifert who has taken some of the pressure off Green in the passing game.

Quarterback Andy Dalton is the leader of this team and when he plays well, they usually win. When he plays poorly it’s very obvious, and the interception stats show it. During their two-game losing streak in weeks nine and 10 Dalton threw a total of six interceptions and was sacked five times. On the other side of the coin, in their 49-9 win over the New York Jets, Dalton threw for 325 yards and five touchdowns, though he was sacked once and intercepted once.

This season has been mostly positive so far, with some rough spots. The Bengals have beaten some high-valued teams this year and have lost to teams that they should have beaten. They beat Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers, and should have won against the Dolphins but lost to them in overtime Oct. 31, even after coming back in the second half to take the lead with a 35-yard field goal late in the fourth quarter.

The Bengals lead the AFC north with a record of 8-4 and have a two game lead over the Baltimore Ravens. The Bengals are right now the fourth seed in the AFC playoff picture. They play the third-seed Indianapolis Colts Dec. 15. If the Bengals keep playing the way they are, they will be in the playoffs and make it past the first round unlike the past two years. The Bengals are a dark horse in the NFL.