SRJC Hockey: About the Polar Bears

The hockey program started three years ago when a group of local players decided to restart the SRJC club that disbanded five years prior. After years of traveling all over the world to play hockey, the group wanted a chance to finally play in front of family and friends.

“We wanted to have fun and loved showing people our talent. Bottom line, when you are good at something you want just to show people you’re good,” said original member and current defenseman Bryan Vrba.

Together with coach Tom Billeter, who had played for the original SRJC hockey club, the team started independently as part of the American Collegiate Hockey Association. After earning recognition as a top-tiered team, the Polar Bears were voted into the Pacific Collegiate Hockey Association prior to the 2012-13 season. The Polar Bears now own the PCHA championship title.

As an SRJC clubsport, the hockey team receives no financial aid from the college. Based out of Snoopy’s Home Ice in Santa Rosa, the Polar Bears do not charge admission to home games, unlike most
SRJC athletic teams. With the program costing upwards of $45,000 per season, the team relies on sponsorships, community donations, fundraisers and player contributions to off set the costs.

The program attracts players from all over the state to lace up their skates for SRJC. Since restarting the club, the Polar Bears have taken down some of the top hockey clubs, including Stanford University, Berkeley and UC San Diego. But it is not just the team’s level of competition that has players transferring to SRJC.

Besides giving guys a chance to play the sport they love, players say the team helps players to grow as individuals. Because the team holds itself to a high standard, the program encourages players to stay in school, get good grades, get on track and fi nd out what they really want to do in life.

“Guys want to play hockey, so they come out and join and eventually get hooked on school. Th at’s what I did,” said forward Adam Johnson.“I came back to play a little hockey and didn’t know what I wanted to do. After a year on the team I was just like, ‘Wow I’d rather focus on school than hockey.’”

While some career goals may have changed, hockey is still the passion. You can see it every time the Polar Bears step out on the ice. Players are focused only on hockey: the game, teammates, coaches and how much fun awaits when the puck drops.

That is what makes a Polar Bears’ home game a can’t miss SRJC event. Because there is no denying the determination and love each player has for the sport. And what is better than seeing someone fi ght hard for something they love?

For more information, visit w w w . s a n t a r o s a h o c k e y .com.