Polar Bear Hockey Wins PCHA Championship Over UC Davis

The SRJC Hockey team poses for a group photo after defeating UC Davis 9-4 in the PCHA Championship game.

In its first season as part of the Pacific Collegiate Hockey Association, the SRJC hockey team defeated UC Davis 9-4 to win the 2012-13 PCHA Championship title.

The Polar Bears traveled to Lake Tahoe Feb. 23-24 for the PCHA playoffs as the number two seed. Matched up against Santa Clara University in the first round Feb. 23, SRJC defeated Santa Clara 8-5 to beat elimination.

“We were prepared for them coming into the game, “ said freshman forward Chase Borrower. “But we could’ve had them better. We beat them in the last game of the regular season like by seven.”

The next day SRJC faced the number one seed UC Davis, who had beaten Sacramento State University the day before. The Polar Bears handed UC Davis its only loss of the regular season, with a 7-6 win in overtime Jan. 25.

Davis scored the first goal of the game but Polar Bears forward Josiah Nikkel tied the score with a goal soon after. At the end of the first period SRJC was up 3-1.

SRJC tacked on a few more goals in the second to strengthen its lead 7-4. The Polar Bears scored twice more in the third period to take the game 9-4.

“In order to win the cup, you gotta sacrifice your body. Physically we’re a little beat up and that’s why we’re the champions,” Cam Davis said. “now it’s time to celebrate; it’s gonna be a great night of dancing.”

To check out full game highlights of the teams championship victory, please visit www.santarosahockey.com.