NCAA National Wrestling Champion and Author to Visit SRJC

In partnership with the SRJC wrestling program and Copperfield’s Books, three-time all-American and NCAA national wrestling champion Anthony Robles will speak Oct. 24 at SRJC to promote his book “Unstoppable, From Underdog to Undefeated: How I Became a Champion.”

Robles was born without his right leg and persevered through the challenges of being a person with a disability to became one of the nation’s top wrestlers and a testament to what self-determination can accomplish.

After taking up the sport in high school, Robles attended Arizona State University, a Division I school. He was awarded all-American honors in his sophomore and junior years before capping a perfect 36-0 season to win the NCAA national wrestling title in the 125-lb class his senior year. He is ranked eighth for most match wins (122) and 10th in dual wins (53) in his ASU career. Robles was inducted into the 2012 national wrestling Hall of Fame and honored with the Jimmy V award for Perseverance at the 2011 Espy’s.

“Unstoppable” chronicles Robles’ life from childhood through his impressive wrestling career. But it is more than just an inspiring sports memoir: it’s a story about setting a goal and sticking to it, no matter what type of adversity stands in the way.

“When I heard Anthony was coming to Sonoma County, I couldn’t wait to get him in front of our athletes and our fans. This man is an inspiration.” said SRJC’s head wrestling coach Jake Fitzpatrick.

Robles will speak at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday in SRJC’s Tauzer Gym.  Cost of admission is $6 adult, $4 students and seniors. The evnt is free for SRJC ASB members. The SRJC wrestling team will compete against Skyline College following the event.

Petaluma High School will also host Robles at 7 p.m. Oct. 23 in the school’s Multi-Purpose room. A $5 donation  to the high school’s wrestling team is suggested.