New coach for cross country

SRJC cross country coach Jerry Noble has one goal this year: get the Bear Cubs to the state championships.
Stepping into his first season as head coach, Noble is determined to get the team’s overall numbers up from the last season. In 2010, none of the cross country runners competed in the state tournament. Overall, the men’s team finished third and women’s team placed last in the Big 8 conference meet.
To help the team compete at the next level, Noble is coaching his runners to work hard and strive for overall consistency in their training. Both teams’ coaches have begun to individualize each runner’s program, hoping that their numbers will improve with time.
“My philosophy is to have lots of numbers; with numbers comes talent,” Noble said.
For Noble, the cross country team as a whole is on the brink of being a team to watch out for in Northern California. The men’s team has some work cut out for them competing against American River College, the top ranked team in the state. The women’s team has a chance to be conference champions.
While it might take some time for the cross country team to reach its full potential, returning runners Elijah Stephenson and Maggie Garza, along with new players, are continuing their tradition of working as a team.
“SRJC is one of the best teams I have ever coached as far as chemistry.  Both teams are really close-knit,” Noble said.