Bear Cubs soccer five deep in winning streak

Spencer Harris, Staff Writer

After a slow start to the 2010 season, the SRJC men’s soccer team won its last five games in a row. Their latest victory comes against the Skyline Community College Trojans with a final score of 5-nil.

           The Bear Cubs looked in control as soon as the game started. Their precise passing and helpful communication were key factors early in the game. The whole team looked confident, but also a little careless. In the third minute an injury time-out was granted to the Trojans because of an unnecessary tackle from defender Paulo Wendt. The Bear Cubs played hard, but with a lot of intensity that affected a few crucial plays for the Bear Cubs early on.

In the 22nd minute the Bear Cubs midfielder Tyler Hurst scored their first goal by breaking away and kicking a beautiful ball into the top right corner. In the 26th minute right after the Bear Cubs scored the Trojans were granted a free-kick consequence of another careless tackle. However, thanks to a great save by goalie, Michael Marianella, the Trojans weren’t able to score. All throughout the first-half Marianella was active in making crucial saves.

Again in the 37th minute Hurst was able score his second goal, making it 2-nil. Hurst played a solid game scoring two goals and pushing the tempo throughout making the Bear Cubs offense look strong. Right before halftime in the 44th minute, midfielder Miguel Santoyo scored from header which came off a crossing kick by midfielder Rodrigo Garcia. Entering halftime the Bear Cubs led 3-nil and looked to be in total control.

Beginning the second-half the Trojans looked like they might put up a fight and claw their way back into the game. However, in the 58th minute midfielder Simon Wheatley scored a fancy goal by faking out the Trojan’s goalie and passing the ball into the back of the net. Once Wheatley scored making it 4-nil the Trojans looked like they weren’t going to be able to fight back.

Throughout the second-half the Bear Cubs controlled the flow of the game. In the 62nd minute Hurst almost scored his third goal off a crossing header, then in the 71st minute Santoyo almost scored again, however the ball came off the right post. That didn’t slow down Santoyo though he came right back on the attack and in the 72nd minute scored his second goal making it 5-nil.

In the eighty-second minute the Trojans were granted another free kick, but the attempt went wide right. Towards the end of the game the Trojan players didn’t seem to have motivation left to be competitive and the Bear Cubs seemed like they knew it.

The Bear Cubs next home game is against Redwoods on Oct. 29.