SGA approves funds for end of the year student leadership banquet and new transportation program that offers students a discounted 31-day pass for the SMART train

Courtesy of SRJC
SGA approved funds for an end of the year Student leadership banquet and approved a new transportation program that offers students a discounted 31-day pass for the SMART trainSRJC’s at the May 11 SGA meeting.

Santa Rosa Junior College’s Student Government Assembly members gave a reminder about final fun day and approved final motions for the end of semester at their May 13 meeting.

End of the year student leadership banquet

Zack Miranda, director of Student Life and Engagement, shared news about the End of Year Student Leadership Banquet event that will take place for student workers and leaders from 5-7 p.m. May 17 in the Great Room of Polly O’Meara Doyle Hall dormitory.

There will be food, music, games and awards for outstanding leaders. Red Bee barbeque is catering.

“Over the rest of this week I’ll be working on some things, Melissa will be working on some things, Josh will be working on some things, just to really make this a really fun party for student leaders around campus on Friday,” said Miranda.

Final fun day

Miranda wanted to remind students about one last fun day before finals where attendees can enjoy nachos and music from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. May 15 in the Bertolini Quad on the Santa Rosa campus.

At this event students will also be able to take part in a climate change survey that will take about 20 minutes to complete.

“Student participation is highly encouraged for this survey,” said Miranda.

New transportation pilot program that offers students a discounted 31-day pass for the SMART Train

Deb Ziccone put a motion forward to approve funding for a new transportation pilot program that would offer students a discounted 31-day pass for the SMART train.

The goal for this program is to help benefit students’ transportation. Students can access the SMART train pass in the Petaluma and Santa Rosa campus bookstores.

The discount is $50 off the typical price of the SMART train pass which is $117, making students have to pay $67. 

SGA approved $136,000 for these funds using student transportation fee reserve and revenue.

SGA motions approved

SGA approved a variety of motions at their last meeting. These include:

SGA member Andrew Simmalaychanh, vice president of Clubs in Santa Rosa put a motion forward to approve funding for pins for Inter-Club council.

SGA approved $600 for these funds.

Members also approved funding for the Cheer Club to pay for additional hours for their coach.

SGA approved $625 for these funds.

SGA member Mark Shen, Student Health vice president put a motion forward to approve a new draft of the first aid kit resolution.

SGA members approved this motion.

Final Remarks

Student body president D’Juan Brundidge, gave his final remarks after being a part of SGA for two and a half years starting as vice president of marketing, following with the vice president of clubs, and ending as student body president.

“I think we’ve done good by the students, and I hope the upcoming SGA as a whole takes the things we’ve done in our time here, and be better,” Brundidge said.