SRJC’s study abroad program sends students to London, England for the Fall 2024 semester

Courtesy AIFS
London’s Tower Bridge is one of many landmarks students may visit as they immerse themselves in London’s culture.

Santa Rosa Junior College students who want to broaden their horizons will have the opportunity to experience London’s different traditions and customs this fall through SRJC’s study abroad program.

The SRJC Study Abroad program’s destination for the Fall 2024 semester is London, England. Departing Sept. 5, students will embark on a three-month adventure, consisting of everything from sporting events to Shakespearean theater, while simultaneously taking 12 units of transferable credit college courses.

Along with SRJC coursework, instructors from Contra Costa, Los Rios and San Mateo Community College Districts will also offer classes. SRJC Instructor Anne Belden will teach courses in journalism and media studies.

Courses in history, communications and English will also be available to students studying abroad. A British Life and Culture course is mandatory for all students; local English faculty members will give lectures on topics such as history, politics, customs and architecture during weekly excursions.

“Studying abroad in London will be a life-changing experience,” said journalism instructor Anne Belden, who will lead the SRJC students on the trip. “It helps students gain intercultural competence, problem-solving skills, independence, creativity, tolerance, openness, adaptability and even a sense of humor.”

She added that 85% of students who study abroad say it was the most meaningful experience of their undergraduate education. And a semester abroad looks great on college transcripts and job resumes. Experience in international and intercultural skills often pique employers’ interests in potential new hires.

The program fee starts at $9,495, which includes housing in a homestay, a transportation pass, membership to Imperial College Student Union, medical insurance, AIFS Student Center & Staff services and weekly subsidized activities in London. Activities include visits to museums, monuments, walking tours and full-day excursions to sporting and performance arts events. Expenses like airfare, food, tuition fees and textbooks are not included.

The American Institute for Foreign Study (AIFS) works with the four community colleges to coordinate housing, cultural activities and excursions and also offers student counseling and advising. If students choose to purchase their flight through AIFS, staff members will assist students with getting to and from the airport. AIFS also offers a 24-hour emergency contact service.

Students may choose between living in a homestay, where students will live in a local’s home, or in a student dorm-like residence at an additional charge provided by the AIFS. Living in a homestay includes a twin room, a shared kitchen, laundry facilities, Wi-Fi and a continental breakfast that’s provided daily. The homestays are approximately a 45 to 60 minute commute to the AIFS student center.

Students who prefer a more independent option can opt for student residence for an additional $1755 which includes twin bedrooms, kitchenettes, ensuite bathrooms, laundry facilities, Wi-Fi and a shared study area. Meals are not included in student residence.

Outside of the curriculum, students are encouraged to immerse themselves in all that London has to offer, from the British Museum to Buckingham Palace. For an additional $695, optional trips to Edinburgh, Isle of Skye and Loch Ness are available to those interested.

To qualify for Study Abroad, SRJC students must be at least 18 years old and have completed 12 units while maintaining a 2.25 GPA or higher.

Belden will hold an in-person informational session for the trip at noon March 4 at Garcia Hall Room 106 on the Santa Rosa campus. She will hold a second session at 5 p.m. March 11 on Zoom. For more information, contact Belden at [email protected]

For students interested in financial aid for the London 2024 program they can contact Student Financial Services Manager Lauren Coburn at [email protected]. More information about the trip, scholarship opportunities and additional financial aid can be found on the SRJC study abroad website