SGA approves new VP of marketing, funds Black History Month event, appoints members to hiring and finance committees

SGA members appointed Michelle Diaz as the new Vice President of Marketing Santa Rosa.

Santa Rosa Junior College’s Student Government Assembly approved a new Vice President of Marketing, formed a new Finance and Benefits Committee, allocated money toward panelists at a Black History Month event and approved a stand-in for the Presidential Hiring Committee. 

NEW VICE PRESIDENT OF MARKETING 

SGA appointed Michelle Diaz as the Vice President of Marketing in Santa Rosa. 

“I already have the experience of being able to manage a group and meet deadlines,” Diaz said. “I can strategize what we need to implement to reach our goals.” 

Members promptly approved Diaz’s position and she was officially considered a member throughout following discussions. 

BLACK HISTORY MONTH EVENT

SGA approved $800 to compensate four panelists attending an event held by the Black Student Union honoring Black History month.

SGA members will pull funding from the student employment budget, using $400 from the Santa Rosa campus and $400 from the Petaluma campus. The budget covers students’ time working at SRJC events and held $2,000 prior to the allocation.

“I think it’s important to compensate our students as much as we can for their time, especially when we’re putting on something for the SRJC,” said SGA President Abrea Tillman. 

Tillman, Vice President of Student Life Melissa Ramirez and BSU Co-Presidents D’Jaun Brundidge and DYonna Johnson will headline the event planning and organization. They plan to host four student panelists sharing various perspectives. Attendees will break into small groups with panelists to read and discuss an article about Black student life, before returning for a large group discussion. Organizers also intend to highlight Sawubona, Umoja, Ethnic Studies, BSU and other departments promoting Black Student Success. It will take place 3:00-5:30 p.m. Feb. 22. 

FINANCE & BENEFITS COMMITTEE

SGA began forming the Finance & Benefits Committee based on initial interest; the preliminary list of members includes Tillman, Ramirez and Brundidge. 

Any additional students interested can attend meetings and be added to the list of members; the committee isn’t new but was decidedly reworked in light of staff changes and the new semester. The committee meets at 10 a.m. every Wednesday in the Center for Student Leadership. 

PRESIDENTIAL HIRING COMMITTEE REPLACEMENT

SGA approved Tillman’s stand-in position on the Presidential Hiring Committee, replacing Inter-Club Council Chair Dori Elder. 

This follows Elder’s resignation from her position on SGA due to personal/health reasons, enacted Feb. 3. 

“It was a very rough decision,” Elder said in their Jan. 30 meeting. “I didn’t pick it lightly.” 

The committee meets to evaluate candidates for the next SRJC president and is still in preliminary stages.