Three SRJC students’ films to play at Alexander Valley Film Festival Student Film Competition

Courtesy Alexander Valley Film Society
Alexander Valley Film Society is holding its annual student competition as a drive-in screening 8:30 May 1 at Healdsburg Community Center.

Alexander Valley Film Society hosts its annual student film competition at 8:30 p.m. May 1 at the Healdsburg Community Center in partnership with the Sonoma County Office of Education, Film Fest Petaluma and Santa Rosa Junior College.

Three SRJC students, James Domizio, Max Belove and Crysta Andrews, and Santa Rosa High student Matty Denison are competing after winning at Sonoma County Student Film Festival. In years the festival isn’t partnered, winners typically move on to Film Fest Petaluma instead.

As part of this year’s Alexander Valley Film Festival, the competition will be a socially distanced drive-in cinema in the Healdsburg Community Center lot.

Short films are submitted through FilmFreeway then judged by the Alexander Valley Film Festival selection committee, which consists of film industry professionals and community leaders.

This year’s competition will be split into three separate divisions: films made as part of a class project by Sonoma County middle and high school students, films made independently by middle and high school students, and films made by college students enrolled at the time of submission.

Prizes vary by different jury categories. The overall winner across all categories will receive the Joseph Carnation Jr. Student Film Award and a cash prize of $1,000 in honor of late supporter Joe Carnation. The award is reserved for a Sonoma County student resident only.

Gates open at Healdsburg Community Center at 7:30 p.m. and the screenings begin at 8:30 p.m.

To get tickets, click here.

In the interest of transparency, Domizio is a current editor-in-chief at The Oak Leaf.