SRJC to stay online through 2020

Santa Rosa Junior College will continue to operate online through the end of the Fall 2020 semester due to the coronavirus pandemic, SRJC President Dr. Frank Chong announced Thursday.

With fall scheduling deadlines approaching and the community hungry for updates, Dr. Chong elected to cancel in-person classes after a meeting with his vice presidents. 

SRJC leadership will work with faculty to find solutions for classes with hands-on labs or that require in-person instruction, while utilizing SRJC’s social distancing protocols.

Gov. Gavin Newsom’s ban on mass gatherings also means Summer Repertory Theatre and other on-campus programs are canceled. Summer school will also go online only. 

The announcement makes clear that Chong and SRJC leadership will continue to monitor the latest state and county protocols “to determine when the non-instructional operations of the district could resume in a limited or modified face-to-face format.”

“I hope that these updates help provide a greater sense of stability for our college community at this time,” Chong said. “I know that these decisions will likely raise additional questions, and I am committed to helping address those in collaboration with our faculty, staff, administrators and students in the coming days and weeks.”

An accompanying FAQ states that while only 2020 classes have been moved online thus far, remote instruction could extend beyond the fall semester.

For more information, SRJC Student Health Services has set up a coronavirus webpage at https://shs.santarosa.edu/corona-virus.

This story will be updated.